/5 hiccup

Kilted One

Jul 13, 2016, 4:59:18 PM7/13/16
to MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists
Time to get the old girl back on the road after sitting most of last season. Parked her when she started running rough. While riding it would feel like it would cut out under transition from off throttle to on throttle. First guess was carb issue, first 'free' advice was water in the gas. Will be cleaning carbs and adding fresh fuel as first approach. Any Bing carb cleaning tips out there? I know they are pretty straight forward, so not too worried. If you see me riding it around in the next few days you will know it went well.

Vince Strazzabosco

Jul 13, 2016, 6:50:49 PM7/13/16
to MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists, rj_...@hotmail.com
Does one cylinder run rougher than the other? How are the diaphragms in the carbs? Is the rubber fresh and firm or kinda soft and gummy, likely to tear? If there's a seeming loss of power, check them for sure. On the rebuild, it's really straightforward. One thing I like to do is to count the number of revolutions to turn each air regulating screw, etc in until it lightly bottoms, then count how many turns it takes to take it out. Write both down for reassembly, even if you have a great memory! If there is a significant difference, it may explain why one cylinder runs smoother than the other. It also helps to compare sides and be able to keep the info for future work.

Hope this helps someone,

Vince

Subject: [MilVinMoto] /5 hiccup
To: "MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists" <milvi...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 3:59 PM
--

Ross is back from Italy and is ready for Garage Nites to
resume. Who's ready to host?

July 19 - open

July 26 - Nick on the Hales Corners/Franklin border

August 2 - open

August 9 - Zak/Will/Dave at the Clubhouse Riverwest

Garage Nite doesn't just happen, you need to volunteer
to host!

MilVinMoto-...@googlegroups.com

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/MilVinMoto

`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`/`

---

Google Groups "MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage
Motorcyclists" group.

from it, send an email to milvinmoto+...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/milvinmoto.

Mark Flintrop

Jul 13, 2016, 8:17:58 PM7/13/16
to vstraz...@yahoo.com, rj_...@hotmail.com, MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists

I would agree with Vince as my initial thoughts lean towards the diaphragms as well. A diaphragm failure (tear, pinhole, etc) will likely be imperceptible to your eye but that, or stiffening of the rubber could cause the symptoms you describe. Ran into this a few years ago on my R100S.

Mark Flintrop

Kilted One

Jul 22, 2016, 3:24:59 PM7/22/16
to MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists, rj_...@hotmail.com, vstraz...@yahoo.com
Checked the diaphragms, they look fresh and good. Probably only 6 years old or so. They seem pretty pliable. Cleaned the carbs too and were not obviously dirty anyway. The bike started right up, but the funky hesitation is still there. Curious thing it is. More investigation is necessary.

SteveSchwartz

Jul 22, 2016, 4:23:27 PM7/22/16
to MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists, rj_...@hotmail.com, vstraz...@yahoo.com
Hey-

I had to adjust the little stop tab (not sure what else to call it) on the floats after working on the carbs occasionally. Probably worth checking to make sure it isn't that. Spent a fair few hours chasing problems, and it just ended up needing a float adjustment. Good luck!

hond...@comcast.net

Jul 26, 2016, 7:22:57 PM7/26/16
to rj benn, milvinmoto, vstraz...@yahoo.com
Is it worst hot or cold? In other words is the problem being rich or lean. Float level can effect both. When setting the level hold the carb so the float is hanging straight down and just touching the needle. If you hold the carb upside down the spring loaded needle pin can compress and affect your reading.

Checked the diaphragms, they look fresh and good. Probably only 6 years old or so. They seem pretty pliable. Cleaned the carbs too and were not obviously dirty anyway. The bike started right up, but the funky hesitation is still there. Curious thing it is. More investigation is necessary.

--
Upcoming Garage Nites:

July 26 - Nick on the Hales Corners/Franklin border
August 2 - open
August 9 - Zak/Will/Dave at the Clubhouse Riverwest
August 17 (Wednesday) - Ollies / Bohners Lake