What is a good motorcycle battery charger/maintainer?

Grant Rettke

Jan 31, 2015, 8:21:14 PM1/31/15
to MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists
My motorcycle is sitting in a garage this winter. The battery is in
the motorcycle. I would like to keep that battery charged. There are
power outlets in that garage. I would like a device to hook up to the
battery to keep it charged. It should automatically, correctly,
maintained the correct charge. I don't want to have to unplug it and
plug it back in. I don't want to have to touch it all winter.

Thus far I have used the [Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Speed Charge
Maintainer]. Today though I read that it only runs for 12hours before
turning off. If you want to cycle it then you have to power it off
then on. I didn't read the manual, that was my fault. Still, that is
really surprising because I read it being sold as a maintainer, and
not a "maintain it for 12 hours and then you gotta unplug and plug the
thing back in again" charger.

I will do the research for a good new one using the Interweb.

I am curious though, what maintainers do you folks use?

--
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

hond...@comcast.net

Jan 31, 2015, 9:10:48 PM1/31/15
to gre...@gmail.com, milvinmoto
You want a charger that desulfates or restores batteries. Often you will see on the package the charger will go to 16+V. The Optimate 3+ is a good choice but there are others. Maintenance chargers like the Battery Tender will maintain a good battery but not bring a dead battery back like an Optimate will. I learned this when I forgot to unplug my radar dectector after a ride and a week later I had a dead battery the Battery Tender could not bring back. If you search the YUASA web site you'll find the Yuasa Tech Manual which you can down load. It answers every question I could think of.

Feb 1, 2015, 10:21:23 AM2/1/15
to gre...@gmail.com, MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists
I have one of these and it works great their support was great when on failed got a new one in a couple of days.

http://www.batterydoc.com/sport_battery_doc.htm

Feb 2, 2015, 1:40:21 AM2/2/15
to milvi...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the Optimate. They are the ones most recommended by the guys turning wrenches for a living. Go for an Optimate 4 at this point, they really work.

Dave Anhalt

Feb 2, 2015, 6:49:14 PM2/2/15
to gre...@gmail.com, MilVinMoto - Milwaukee Vintage Motorcyclists
I'm using the Battery Tender on my bikes. It was recommended at Remy Battery. They say to have at least 750ma output. Found mine at Sears on sale.
Dave

Feb 3, 2015, 5:55:10 PM2/3/15
to milvi...@googlegroups.com, g...@wisdomandwonder.com
I've heard that the best way to maintain a battery over winter is to charge it once a month  instead of leaving a tender on 24/7. Maybe that's why the Schumacher is designed like that? I'm no expert in battery maintenance, but I figured I'd pass the info along.
Ken