Looking for someone to help with commercial mechatronic projects (paid)

Martin Bell

May 7, 2018, 6:00:40 AM5/7/18
to Milton Keynes makerspace
Hi, I run a small company in Bedford (ORLIN Technologies Ltd - www.orlin.co.uk ) that supplies motion control and other mechatronic products (stepper and servo motors and drives, linear actuators, piezo actuators and opto-mechanical components) mainly to the industrial automation industries.
I have a number of small projects that I have started, but have not had time to finish them due to day to day running of the company. During a visit to the recent Makerfaire in Newcastle, it struck me that the Maker community might have the sort of people who would have the broad range of skills to complete these projects and would enjoy doing so.
Current projects are:
  • Development of a "universal" controller for stepper and servo motors, voice coil actuators and linear motors, using hardware from www.micontrol.de . Controller works, but needs a small amount of interface electronics and mounting in a box. Further programming and testing would also be useful. Controller is programmed in a version of Python so should be familiar to Rasberry Pi users.
  • Setting up a Beijer HMI/PLC (Beijer x2 Control - https://www05.beijerelectronics.com/en/Products/Control___systems/X2___with___CODESYS___control/X2___control___7) to communicate with the Universal Controller and others via CANopen, EtherCAT and RS232/485. Programming of typical industrial applications in Codesys.
  • Protoyping of a low cost stepper motor leadscrew linear actuator (hopefully) based on standard aluminium profiles.

I'm looking for someone (or perhaps a small group of people) with a broad range of electrical and mechanical engineering skills, but I do not need very in depth knowledge in any particular area. I think someone with a hobby level of electronics, some experience of programming on any platform and the ability to operate machine tools safely would easily be able to tackle the projects above.

Experience of any of the following would be useful:

  • Motion control - stepper motors, servo motors, DC motors
  • Automation - PLCs, HMIs
  • Industrial networking - Profibus, Profinet, EtherCAT, CANopen, Ethernet IP, RS232, RS485
  • Programming - Python, Arduino, CodeSYS, Ladder Logic
  • Electronics - Basic circuit design, PCB design, electronic assembly
  • Mechanical - use of machine tools (mill, lathe), hand tools
  • 3D CAD design

Most important would the willingness and ability to learn new skills.

I have a small workshop in Kempston, Bedford with a 3D printer, mini mill, small lathe and other tools which you would be welcome to use.

Rate of pay is to be negotiated.

This could also lead to other projects, for example customer specific programming and proof of concept trials etc.

If you are interested, please email me at marti...@orlin.co.uk or call me on 07775 601456 / 01525 306100

Adrian Godwin

May 7, 2018, 6:27:55 AM5/7/18
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
I've played with some of this stuff myself and have some ongoing projects. Happy to pool resources.

I'm not actually a member of MK maker space, I just visit occasionally, but I do live in Bedford too.

You might be interested in https://www.meetup.com/BedfordTech - meetings are a bit sporadic but we always choose a good pub.

--
http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---