Laser cutter use?

Stewart Light

Apr 9, 2018, 7:01:27 AM4/9/18
to Milton Keynes makerspace
Afternoon!

I have a possible project (surfboard) that I'm looking at the feasibility of tackling. It would require a fair bit of laser cutting of corrugated cardboard and as I'm without a laser cutter myself I'm investigating the possible use of one.

I'm not looking to free load but did wonder if it's possible to hire the use / commission someone to cut for me using your cutter? Clearly I'm not trained in it's use so wouldn't expect to be able to rock up and use it, nor do I pay to access the space. While I would love to be a member, I'm down in Aylesbury so long term membership would be a bit pointless for me.

Any advice appreciated!

It might also be worth me pointing out that I'm a hobbyist knifemaker with quite a bit of tooling so if there is anything anyone would need making on or working as trade that could be a possibility too. Of particular interested might be my heat treating oven which can cope with 22" length and 1200 degrees celcius.

Cheers,

Stew.

Michael West

Apr 9, 2018, 8:33:37 AM4/9/18
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Hello
Welcome.
You are more than welcome to come and use the facilities on a pay as you use basis - £5 per week as a one off cash donation is fine. There is a small surcharge for the laser tube to cover wear.

It depends on the size you want to cut. Our laser will cut to approx a4 size so this might be a limitation.
In terms of training - it take up to an hour depending on how far you wish to go.
The cutter will take in DXF files to output.
Michael

--
http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Stewart Light

Apr 9, 2018, 9:09:44 AM4/9/18
to Milton Keynes makerspace
Thanks!

It's a way off being a reality but hopefully I will be in touch soon!