Red Saddlebags and more, Philomath SPs 8/4

Jamie S.

Aug 4, 2015, 6:09:20 PM8/4/15
to Mid-Valley Nature
Hendrik Herlyn, Oscar Harper, and I journeyed to the Philomath Sewage Ponds (Philomath, OR) just after noon and found cooperative Red Saddlebags (Tramea onusta), as reported by Howard Bruner yesterday. With limited time, we didn't concentrate on counting individuals, but 10 is a fair estimate of how many we saw. We were mesmerized by these notable invaders from California, but also managed to see:

We also observed:
Black Saddlebags (incl. one mated pair and one who perched for us; in my experience it's rare to see any perched)
Common Green Darner (incl. one cooperative perched mated pair; in my experience it's rare to see any perched)
Variegated Meadowhawks
Flame Skimmer (1)
Eight-spotted Skimmers
Western Pondhawks
unidentified damselflies (Tule Bluets? I didn't try to ID them)

5 photos attached.

Jamie Simmons
Corvallis

Black_Saddlebags-1cr.jpg
Com_Green_Darner_pair-1.jpg
Red_Saddlebags-1-1cr.jpg
Red_Saddlebags-2-1cr.jpg
Variegated_Meadowhawk-1cr.jpg

b_g...@comcast.net

Aug 5, 2015, 11:40:51 AM8/5/15
to Jamie S., mid-valley-nature
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos! Those were great.

Cheers,
Bill