The careless shrug of an ecosystem

19 visningar

howard bruner

oläst,
24 mars 2015 20:02:262015-03-24
till mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Or maybe the thoughtful adjustment of a system in flux.  But it is most definitely a very obvious change to the flora of the McForest community.  It was nigh on 20 years ago that I found a single Luina nardosmia (aka Cacaliopsis nardosmia) along rd 580 quite near Lewisburg saddle.  I have not seen it in the forest since - until last week when it showed up as a major component of the entire length of both rd 500 and 580 (the roads that parallel each other from Lewisburg saddleto the NE).  It is everywhere.  If I did not know it is a well respected member of the native plant association I would say what is happening up there is a vicious infestation of a noxious weed.

I can't say whether it has been slowly spreading because I have not been up in that area on any kind of a regular schedule.  It makes sense that in order to reach such an explosion in the population need to go through an intermediate spread and establishment.  Luina nardosmia is a hardy perennial that would probably take more than a year to reach reproductive potential. I have included shots of flower buds that seem to be just emerging on a small proportion of the basal leaf clumps.

A grand mystery and I am certainly glad it has to do with native system response to ? in stead of yet another invasion.

Note to Jamie - very fine pics -  I agree your butterfly is the lovely Satyr - but then I am not a lepidopterist.

ps:  Lots of flowers lighting up the verdant moss floor.  The wind delivered male floral bouquets from the high ceiling of firs.
1 055.jpg
1 053.jpg
1 099.jpg
1 065.jpg
1 114.jpg

Lisa Millbank

oläst,
25 mars 2015 01:01:362015-03-25
till howard bruner, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howard,

I remember seeing some of these Cacaliopsis/Luina/Silvercrown plants last year along the 580 road last spring.  I wonder if forest thinning activity has contributed to the increase in population, since this plant prefers open forests.  Some friends who live SW of Philomath have Silvercrown growing on their property.  I haven't seen it in too many other places.

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

Svara alla
Svara författaren