Swarm of bugs

Jamie S.

Jul 18, 2016, 6:47:20 PM7/18/16
to Mid-Valley Nature

I noticed this swarm of bugs at Willamette Park on 7/10.
Any ideas as to what they are?
Different ages of the same species?
(If not, I'll submit to What's That Bug.)

Jamie Simmons
Corvallis
IMG_2338cr.jpg
IMG_2343cr.jpg

b_g...@comcast.net

Jul 19, 2016, 1:44:37 AM7/19/16
to Jamie S., mid-valley-nature
Hi Jamie,

Those are bordered plant bugs, Largus sp. Those are the juvenile stages. Linda Fink photographed some even younger ones and shared them with the group on 7/9. Did you happen to see her photo?

Here's a photo with even more ages together including adults...

Enjoy!
Cheers,
Bill

Jul 19, 2016, 11:21:12 AM7/19/16
to Jamie S., Mid-Valley Nature

I'm not an entomologist, but I'd guess that they are nymphs of true bugs, order hemiptera. The larger ones with the spot of red at the bottom of the photo may have undergone a 1st molt. It will fun to try to figure it out.
Don Gunther

Jamie S.

Jul 19, 2016, 11:21:12 AM7/19/16
to Donald Gunther, Mid-Valley Nature