3 moths

Lisa Millbank

Mar 8, 2014, 7:38:00 PM3/8/14
to Mid-valley Nature
More and more insects seem to be showing up with the mild weather we've
been having, and I attached a few pictures of moths I've seen lately.
I've seen a couple of plume moths (Pterophoridae). Concealed under the
long, skinny forewings are its hindwings, which look almost like 3 long
feathers. I thought it would be interesting to take a picture of the
hindwings, but it would be difficult to expose them without injuring
this delicate little critter.

Another moth I found appears to be some kind of noctuid or owlet moth
(Noctuidae). It had a furry head and thorax, and subtly-patterned wings
with reddish-brown colors. There are so many species that I didn't even
try to narrow it down.

A small, flat moth with elongated wings almost at right angles to its
body was resting on a wall. It seems to be one of the many species in
the geometer or inchworm moth family (Geometridae).

I'd be interested to know more about these moths if anyone has any
further information. I'm not even sure I've gotten the families correct.

Happy spring bug-watching!

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

plume moth LM.JPG