A flush of coming attractions

howard bruner

Oct 22, 2014, 8:06:35 PM10/22/14
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Beazell Memorial Forest 's long hot nap is coming to an end.  On Sunday we scuffed through dry leaves up the canyon hitting a sliver of autumn sun every so often.  It always takes me a couple of miles/hours to reawaken to the presence of third kingdom.  But by the late afternoon, as the shadows leaped out of hiding, the fungal lifeforms appeared where none were seen on the way up.

The show was brilliant and my photos are a paltry representation of true forms and colors.  The ID's are from the first (leftmost) photo:

1) Mycena spp. (probably Mycena cinerella)

2) Crepidotus applanatus

3) Boletus spp. (probably B. mirabilis)

4) Lepiota cepaestripes

5) Lepiota cepaestripes in a different stage of growth - could be called a blizzard lepiota from all the snow-like free scales

6) Amillaria mellea

7 and 8) Clitocybe spp. (I have found this in the Cascades also this fall.  It keys out between C. avellaneialba and C. maxima.  If anyone knows this species I would appreciate letting the list know.
beazell23.jpg
beazell9.jpg
beazell27.jpg
beazell13.jpg