FW: A large-billed GWTE at Philomath sewage treatment ponds

howard bruner

Nov 14, 2014, 10:49:41 PM11/14/14
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com

From: hbru...@hotmail.com
To: bir...@midvalleybirding.org
Subject: A large-billed GWTE at Philomath sewage treatment ponds
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 03:46:03 +0000

I found this atypical GWTE on the NE pond this AM.  It was in the company of NOSH and AMCO and was smaller than both.  It had most of the field marks of a standard issue GWTE but the bill looked more like a BWTE or Cinnamon.  The pics are very rough but they depict the birds size and  basic plumage characters.  I am interested in others impressions of this duck.

On weds I found some interesting fungi around Lewisburg Saddle in MacForest.  Most of the trail-side basidiospores had been kid-whacked or were visibly dehydrated.  But there were still some visual treasures the youngins missed.

GWTE with atypical bill2.jpg
GWTE behind NOSH.jpg
GWTE speculum and undertail coverts.jpg
GWTE with atypical bill.jpg
blue tooth.jpg
Carnival Candy Slimemold3.jpg
Lepiota.jpg
dried russula.jpg

b_g...@comcast.net

Nov 15, 2014, 11:01:23 AM11/15/14
to howard bruner, mid-valley-nature
Hiya Howard,

Thanks for sharing the beautiful fungus photo!!
Hey...as a person who can tell a duck from a hummingbird, but doesn't know all the types of ducks, I'm wondering what GWTE, NOSH, and AMCO stand for.
Thanks!

Cheers,
Bill