Help with weed identification

MoonHowler

Aug 5, 2015, 1:10:57 PM8/5/15
to Mid-Valley Nature
In early July my husband removed a couple of junipers from our property on the north side of Spring Hill in North Albany.  He removed the stumps and tilled the soil while he decided what he wanted to put in the area.  In the meantime, this weed sprang up.  It was about 15-18 inches tall with some serious thorns. I've looked through a couple of weed books for the NW and Willamette Valley, but I can find nothing even close.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  -- Naomi Weidner
IMG_8515-72.jpg
IMG_8516-72.jpg
IMG_8517-72.jpg
IMG_8518-72.jpg

b_g...@comcast.net

Aug 5, 2015, 1:33:51 PM8/5/15
to MoonHowler, mid-valley-nature
Hi Naomi,

That looks like a type of nightshade called buffalo bur, Solanum rostratum. It's a weed that is not native to the PNW.

Cheers,
Bill