Witham Hill Glory Orchid

howard bruner

May 6, 2015, 1:05:57 AM5/6/15
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
I posted a set of pictures in late April of a unique Corallorhiza orchid.  I anticipated a impressive bloom from that sport.  But realistically the odds of it surviving the traffic of runners, dogs, and all the chaos of a week in this world, were not good.  Glad tidings - it is extant and is as glorious as I imagined.

There are 2 pics from April 26 and 3 from today.  I think is is a non-hybrid-straight-up Corallorhiza maculata (spotted coralroot, aka Corallorhiza maculata var maculata) albeit robust in the extreme. My guess is that this unusual form is the result of a multiple stem germination mutation - if you study the plant you can discern individual stems that show partially in the flowerhead.

The early afternoon woods were still lively with birdsong and the openings had swarming odonates - vivid dancers on the ground level and California darners cutting up the open sky.

I heard a song that I recognized from last May near the same area.  I have posted a video with 2 examples of the mystery song.  I would appreciate it if someone out there knows what is making the high swirl and roll.

youtube.com/watch?v=DiUpdmB3SNw

4 16 2015.JPG
4 16 2015 2.JPG
5 5 2015.JPG
5 5 2015 2.JPG
5 5 2015 3.JPG

Stephen Lindsay

May 6, 2015, 12:03:33 PM5/6/15
to howard bruner, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com

Hi Howard,

I have never seen a coralroot as massive as the plant in your photos, but all the ones I see are in deep shade, so I wonder if the extra light of that open area contributes to its size. These photos are from last week and are typical of the plant form I see as well as the forest floor setting where I find them.

sl

Stephen Lindsay

sl.li...@Q.com

2015-04-30 (109).JPG
2015-04-30 (110).JPG

Lisa Millbank

May 6, 2015, 12:53:48 PM5/6/15
to howard bruner, Mid-Valley Nature
It is a truly impressive coralroot!  I think Howard might be on the right track with his speculation that it's some kind of developmental oddity.  Maybe an injury occurred as the plant was growing.  Because our coralroot species do not produce any chlorophyll, I think that their growth probably isn't strongly influenced by the amount of sunshine they receive.

That plant must be stealing a lot of energy from the fungus it is parasitizing to grow such a huge flower stalk!  Orchids that don't have chlorophyll are pretty much fully dependent on mycoheterotrophic parasitism.  Same for Indian-pipe plants and a few other botanical weirdos.

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com