McDonald Forest N. Pygmy-Owl, Wilson's Warbler

Lisa Millbank

Apr 13, 2014, 9:18:20 PM4/13/14
to Mid-valley Nature
This morning, I took a ride out to Bald Hill Farm and McDonald Forest while Don was running in the Corvallis Half-Marathon.

It was about 6:45 when I saw a flock of 6 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS flying westward over Circle Blvd., and I wondered if they were headed for the coast.

At Bald Hill Farm, the highlights included at least 5 VESPER SPARROWS (including 3 singing males and 2 others feeding on the ground), a few CHIPPING SPARROWS, many singing SAVANNAH SPARROWS and a few pairs of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS. A flock of WILD TURKEYS were feeding in a nearby lawn, and some of the toms were displaying a little.

I stopped at the Audubon Society of Corvallis' Hesthavn Nature Center on Oak Creek Drive.  I'd hoped I might find a House Wren there, but didn't hear any, so I continued up the road and into McDonald Forest.

A couple of miles up the road, I started hearing a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL "tooting."  The tiny owl was surrounded by angry GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS and CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES.  I could only get a mediocre picture, but it was exciting to see this little fella.

I took a break at about 1300', and while I was sitting on the edge of the road, I watched a family of GRAY JAYS swooping down to the ground and silently gliding from tree to tree.  This was about 4.5 miles or so from the Oak Creek Drive trailhead.

I heard at least 15 BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS today, getting looks at several of them.  All of them were singing the buzzy "zebra-zebra-zebra-zeet!" song.  There were also TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS mixed in, but both species seemed to be singing distinctive songs today.  Everywhere there were blooming Bigleaf Maples, there seemed to be ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS.  I watched one little guy seemingly sipping nectar from multiple flowers between the songs he was giving every few seconds.  Many male YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS in their spring finery (mostly Audubon's) were singing and foraging in the maples as well.

Past Lewisburg Saddle, I came to a clearcut overlooking Soap Creek Valley, and three adult BALD EAGLES soared by.

When I arrived at Cronemiller Lake, there was a single female HOODED MERGANSER there.  Just past the lake, on a forest road that goes back to Hwy 99W north of Peavy Arboretum, I found one singing male WILSON'S WARBLER.  They're pretty darn cute with their shiny black toupees.

Throughout the forest, many flowers were in bloom.  A few notable ones included LYALL'S ANEMONE, PACIFIC HOUND'S-TONGUE, many CALYPSO ORCHIDS, VANILLALEAF, GREAT CAMAS, and PACIFIC BLEEDING-HEART.

While riding home, I found a roadkilled MYOTIS bat of some kind on the shoulder of Hwy 99W.

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

65 bird species
Hooded Merganser