McDonald Forest and E.E. Wilson

Don Boucher

May 27, 2015, 1:33:24 AM5/27/15
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Memorial Day, we were going to spend the day riding our bikes in McDonald Forest. However, we got as far as Cronemiller Lake and turned around due to logging. While there, we found a male robin tending to his babies and a female Hooded Merganser. We went to an old, overgrown clearcut north of Cronemiller Lake, Rd 541, and that was full of birds.

Notable; MacGillivray's Warbler, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Yellow-breasted Chat, Willow Flycatcher. There were a number of Purple Martins and we saw one male poking his head out of hole in a snag and singing.

We decided to head to E.E .Wilson and left along Rd 540, not far from Hwy 99W. That's where we heard a Hermit Thrush singing. An unexpected treat at this altitude and this time of year.

At E.E. Wilson we heard about 5 Yellow-breasted Chats. We encountered a Wrentit pair that came pretty close to us. It was pretty good for snakes. There were a few garter snakes, this Ring-necked Snake, a large Gopher Snake and a Racer.

While on the north side, we were surprised by a swarm of many thousands of honeybees flew overhead, swirling like a tornado southward. We never seen anything like it. They seemed to focused on getting from one place to another and not any threat. As the afternoon became warm, many common dragonflies were out and a few notable ones too. There's a spot on the south side where there are many Emerald Spreadwings (damsleflies). At one of the marshes we saw a female Western Pondhawk, a Dot-tailed Whiteface and a Beaverpond Baskettail. We saw several Lorquin's Admirals, many Western Tiger Swallowtails, a Gray Hairstreak and a tailed-blue (not a good enough look to ID species).

Don Boucher & Lisa Millbank
Corvallis
Gopher-snake.jpg
lorquins admiral LM.JPG
Pacific-chorus-frog.jpg
ring-necked-snake.jpg
Robin-babies.jpg
Western-Pondhawk-female.jpg
Wilsons-Warbler.jpg
Wrentit.jpg
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Don A Boucher

May 29, 2015, 10:47:55 PM5/29/15
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com, mls...@msn.com
Yes, Multiflora Rose a.k.a., Cluster Rose, a.k.a. Rosa multiflora is all over E.E. Wilson and it's in full bloom right now.

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 9:54:06 AM UTC-7, Margaret wrote:
Is that a Multiflora Rose bush the Wrentit was in?