Bugs on Hawthorne? Suggestions?

JAMES D SMITH

Jun 7, 2016, 4:01:40 PM6/7/16
to Mid-Valley Nature

Hi Folks,

While out for a walk in my nature garden I found the following baby bugs looking pretty intent on a batch of eggs on the underside of a leaf on my Winter King Hawthorne. Any suggestions from the insect literate? I've removed the leaf but have not destroyed it in case they are doing me a favor.

Thanks,

Jim

Bugs on Hawthorne 060716.JPG

Amy Hill

Jun 7, 2016, 4:10:42 PM6/7/16
to JAMES D SMITH, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Jim,

Those are Harlequin cabbage bugs. Here is a link to an article:

Amy Hill
Kalama, WA

Lisa Millbank

Jun 7, 2016, 4:18:31 PM6/7/16
to JAMES D SMITH, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Jim,
I think they are Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs (Halyomorpha halys).  There's a photo of hatchlings on this page: http://www.stopbmsb.org/stink-bug-basics/life-stages/ that looks very similar to your photos.  We have a lot of these in our yard.
Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM, JAMES D SMITH <JDSM...@msn.com> wrote:

JAMES D SMITH

Jun 7, 2016, 4:26:54 PM6/7/16
to Lisa Millbank, Mid-Valley Nature

Lisa et all,

Thank you for the reply; given the egg case characteristic is most similar to the stink bug, and the cabbage bug is reportedly rare north of Colorado, that must be the bug. Thank you, and I'll go out and dispose of the critters.

Jim

I think they are Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs (Halyomorpha halys).  There's a photo of hatchlings on this page: http://www.stopbmsb.org/stink-bug-basics/life-stages/ that looks very similar to your photos.  We have a lot of these in our yard.
The brown marmorated stink bug is a voracious eater that damages fruit, vegetable, and ornamental crops. Our team of researchers is uncovering its secrets.