Giant root borer and interesting darner

Lisa Millbank

Aug 4, 2014, 12:37:33 AM8/4/14
to Mid-valley Nature
Last week, a co-worker brought in a female giant root borer beetle.  I think we have the CALIFORNIA ROOT BORER (Prionus californicus) around here.  This beetle was about about 2.5" long, and was very strong and impressive.  She had large jaws (which we were careful to avoid!), and was partially covered in velvety golden-brown "fur."  I took a few pictures (see attached), and then she was released at the Corvallis BMX track.

Another co-worker brought me a dead TEN-LINED JUNE BEETLE (Polyphylla decemlineata), which is a really interesting native scarab.  I didn't bring my camera that day, but someone else found what I think is a MOURNING CLOAK GRASSHOPPER (also called Carolina Grasshopper, Dissosteira carolina).

At home, I found a male mosaic darner perched in a tree.  I don't feel too confident about this, but he seemed to be a LANCE-TIPPED DARNER (Aeshna constricta).  I've attached a picture with an inset close-up of the male appendages.  From what I've read, that species has undergone a recent range expansion, so it's not totally unexpected.  If anyone is more familiar with darners, I'd like to know if I'm mistaken about the identification.

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com
giant root borer female LM.JPG
possible lance-tipped darner LM..JPG

b_g...@comcast.net

Aug 4, 2014, 5:39:10 PM8/4/14
to Lisa Millbank, mid-valley-nature
Hi Lisa,

The borer beetle is the right subfamily, but I think it is actually the ponderous borer, Trichocnemis spiculatus. Antennal segments in Prionus species expand from base to tip, while those of Trichocnemis species are pretty linear.
See these photos for comparisons...
The antennal segments don't look like they flare out for the specimen in your photo.

Nice find!
Cheers,
Bill

Aug 4, 2014, 10:04:00 PM8/4/14
to b_g...@comcast.net, mid-valley-nature
Thanks Bill,

I think you're right about that...I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, since it really does look more like Trichocnemis spiculatus.  I didn't realize there were other very large beetles in different genera around here.  I can only imagine the size of the grubs!

Lisa

b_g...@comcast.net

Aug 5, 2014, 3:12:41 PM8/5/14
to Lisa Millbank, mid-valley-nature
Hi again Lisa and everyone,

Funny how things happen, but someone just sent me specimens of another prionine long-horned beetle from Eastern Oregon. This one is called the hairy pine borer, Tragosoma harisii. Adults of this species are only just over an inch long (~35mm) and have a hairy pronotum.
Here's a link to a photo of this one...
Not sure if these are in the valley here too, but maybe...

Cheers,
Bill

Aug 6, 2014, 3:36:12 PM8/6/14
to lisa...@peak.org, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa

I don't know if you heard back on your question about the dragonfly.  In my opinion it is a LANCE-TIPPED DARNER (Aeshna constricta) and in fact I encountered one in Jackson-F last week.  I submit a much less clear photo that shows the 't' spot, abdominal markings, and thorax stripes.

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 21:37:15 -0700
From: lisa...@peak.org
To: mid-vall...@googlegroups.com

3 073.jpg