Cardwell Hill no giant finches

howard bruner

Feb 23, 2015, 3:28:14 PM2/23/15
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Pure agate cerulean overhead, strong stiff wind at tree top, and down where the road winds along the flanks and shanks of the hills a sleepywarm calm.  I scanned high and low for the pine grosbeaks and found varied thrush and creeper and Steller's jay.  But as the road fell into a lively canyon filled at the bottom with Mary's River I found a bird-assisted feeding station for early Leps.  Red-breasted sapsuckers had been at many of the trees and Satyr anglewing and mourning cloak were feeding and flitting in the brilliant light and soft breeze.  The sap wells were brimming and festooned with fire colored butterflys - seemingly heeding an unheard insect rhythm which produced a flareup at each unified wing spread.  The soil is soaking up the rain of photons and miraculous things are poking through the duff.

1 005.jpg
Satyr anglewing2.JPG
Satyr anglewing.JPG
Snowqueen.JPG