Fabulous display of wildflowers in Peavy Arboretum Saturday--go now!

Mary Garrard

May 2, 2016, 9:45:28 AM5/2/16
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
I took a hike with a friend in the afternoon from the main parking lot, up the CFIRP trail, then to the 36, and up to the Powder House and around back down by Crohnmiller Lake. Wildflowers blooming everywhere. There were amazing frothy-white, sweet-smelling swaths of Claytonia in a number of locations. Delphinium, vanilla-leaf, columbine, calochortus, camas, bleeding-heart, water-leaf, iris, both solomon-seals, false-lily of the valley, one (maybe both) of the fairy bells, a really nice display of rose checker-mallow in the open area at the top of the Powder House trail, fringe-cup, meadow-rue, a yellow violet, and more I am forgetting now. Lots of shrubs in bloom as well. Don’t have the botanical names at my fingertips to be more specific.

It’s possible I have never hiked at Peavy this time of year, as I was quite surprised and blown away by the profusion of blooming things.

Warmly,

Mary

Mary Garrard

May 2, 2016, 10:25:23 AM5/2/16
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I forgot a couple of things.

First there was a mystery plant. I haven't been able to figure it out. Anyone know? I couldn't get close to get a better look or photo  because of poison oak around. It was about a meter tall. I guessed Chaenactus or Senecio, but not sure if it's one of those or something else entirely. Thanks!

And two photos which show a bit of the swaths of but doesn’t do justice to the Claytonia.

I tried attaching photos but they were too large, so I’m trying dropbox. Let me know if it doesn’t work.

Mary

Don Boucher

May 2, 2016, 11:45:00 AM5/2/16
to Mary Garrard, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mary,

That's Sivlercrown (Cacaliopsis nardosmia) and it's good find!

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/carr/ofp/cac_nar.htm

-Don Boucher, Corvallis

Mary Garrard

May 2, 2016, 4:02:33 PM5/2/16
to Don Boucher, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Cool, Don. Thanks! According to the link, there are two sub-species, and it looks like this one is the glabrata, or tall silvercrown. All the photos in the link are from Chip Ross Park, and, guess what, today I saw it again—this time on the trail up to Dimple Hill from Chip Ross Park. Just one in flower, in the deep forest.

Happy botanizing!

Mary