Naturalist Adventure this Sunday

Don Boucher

Aug 14, 2014, 10:13:44 PM8/14/14
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com, bir...@midvalleybirding.org

Naturalist Adventure

9am, August 17, E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area

Meet at pheasant cage/WWII memorial parking lot on Camp Adair Rd. Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/WYZWJ

Parking a car at E.E. Wilson requires a permit.
A permit can be purchased online at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/online_license_sales/index.asp, at any ODFW office, or at any store that sells ODFW licenses.

We'll walk the mostly forested nature trail that ends up at the fishing pond (currently drained for maintenance) and visit the nearby wetland. There will be some woodland birds and occasional birds of prey. Dragonflies are busy around the wetlands and elsewhere and there's always a possibility for a snake or two.

--
Don Boucher
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

Lisa Millbank

Aug 18, 2014, 1:08:56 AM8/18/14
to Mid-valley Nature
About 8 of us visited E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area today for the Naturalist
Adventure field trip.

Bird activity was fairly slow today. The only shorebird other than a
few KILLDEER was a single SPOTTED SANDPIPER wandering across the drying
mud of the angling pond, which has been drained. We did spot an ACORN
WOODPECKER and a single WOOD DUCK. There were plenty of CEDAR
WAXWINGS. Young, gray-headed TURKEY VULTURES were out soaring with
their parents.

There were enough blackberries for everyone to enjoy while we looked at
European HAZELNUTS, CASCARA berries, BITTERSWEET NIGHTSHADE, BLACK
HAWTHORN, etc. One oak tree had SPECKLED and JUMPING GALLS, along with
OAK APPLES, all caused by different wasps.

AMERICAN BEAVERS had cut down a number of small trees right along the
path, and it was easy to see where they had dragged the wood down into
the creek channel. The entrance hole to their bank lodge was exposed,
and we also looked at their well-maintained dam that was holding back a
good amount of water. Had it not been for the beavers' activity, I
think that section of the creek might have dried up.

MYLITTA CRESCENTS and COMMON WOOD-NYMPHS seemed to be the most abundant
butterflies. A WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE pursued and almost caught an ORANGE
SULPHUR.

There were good numbers of dragonflies and damselflies, including BLACK
SADDLEBAGS, EIGHT-SPOTTED SKIMMERS, darners (including more LANCE-TIPPED
DARNERS, I think), STRIPED MEADOWHAWKS and SPOTTED SPREADWINGS. An
information kiosk at the angling pond had two very large PAPER WASP nests.

Lisa Millbank & Don Boucher
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

common wood-nymph LM.JPG
lance-tipped darner male probably LM.JPG
mylitta crescent LM.JPG
spotted spreadwing male LM.JPG
striped meadowhawk male LM.JPG
paper wasp nest LM.JPG