Young Green Heron

Lisa Millbank

Aug 10, 2014, 9:23:57 PM8/10/14
to Mid-valley Nature
Ever since sometime in April, we've had daily flyovers of a pair of
GREEN HERONS who were nesting somewhere along Village Green Creek (the
outlet of Jackson-Frazier Wetland in NE Corvallis). They were carrying
sticks and other nest material early in the season, and later, they were
probably bringing full crops of food back to the nest. We never did
find the location of the nest, but today, one of the young herons showed
up in the neighbors' trees.

It seemed to be a bit confused as it perched in a dead sweetgum. It
showed intense interest in the other birds in the tree, which included
AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES (and many begging fledglings), LESSER GOLDFINCHES,
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES and a BEWICK'S WREN, who was hopping toward the
heron while scolding it. It moved toward the wren quickly and
stealthily, with its neck retracted, although the wren had no trouble
keeping out of its way. When the birds moved around in the tree, the
heron tracked them as it slunk along the limbs in typical ninja
fashion. I'm sure it would eat songbirds happily, but I guess it was
learning that they're more challenging to catch than little fish and
aquatic bugs.

It flew into another neighbor's large Bradford Pear, followed by a few
protesting BARN SWALLOWS. I laughed when it stretched its neck to the
maximum extent and flared out its crest (see attached). After a while it
flew back toward the creek, where it would probably have better luck.

Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com

green heron imm LM.JPG
green heron imm stretched neck LM.JPG