Discontinued ability of SPOT Trace to send all movement updates by email

ro...@nhscare.info

Jul 23, 2017, 4:05:34 AM7/23/17
to Microtransat
Hi Folks. SPOT Support were never adequate, but we've made good use of SPOT siince 2011 or earlier.
The following is my recent dialogue which may, possibly, be of use. Maybe to use alternatives to SPOT.
It seems both Peter in Team-Joker, and Colin at Aberwystwth University have a work around, so Snoopy should be OK.
Robin

Complete email dialogue with SPOT Support >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks SPOT Support (whoever and wherever you are). It is clear that you do not understand your SPOT Trace product.
You say it did not have a function to send an email for every tracking point:
this very same SPOT Trace was doing this several months ago, on the very same service contract.
Before SPOT Trace we have been using this emailing feature with success in SPOT Messengers since 2011.
You are welcome to pass this email to whom you wish: I will do the same.
I hope we are able to use work arounds and continue to use SPOT.
Best Regards.
Robin Lovelock
www.gpss.co.uk

On 22/07/2017 22:07, Spot English wrote:

Dear Robin Lovelock,

Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Relations.

Our system did not have a function to send an SMS or email for every tracking point as it then begins to become blocked out as systems begin to classify the constant messaging as spam. The main SMS feature of the device is the Movement Alert feature that sends New Movement messages to your listed contacts to notify them to check the FindMeSPOT account or Share Page for any upcoming tracking points.

The only feature available to have many people view all location points without logging into the FindMeSPOT account is the utilization of Shared Pages. If you provide your Share Page link to anyone, they will be able to view all device messages on one map at any time.

We have searched to see if we could be mistaken, although it has been confirmed that none of our devices send messages for every tracking location directly through SMS or email.

Contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you,

SPOT

Contact Us

Oct 11, 2017, 1:46:02 PM10/11/17
to Microtransat
Robin, have you ever tried to cancel subscription (automatic billing) for SPOT Trace? I have cancelled two of them that were on my boat that I lost in the ocean. It takes two 15-minute (expensive) calls to United States (this is the only option), responding to tons of irrelevant questions (Why do you want to cancel? Do you want a replacement? Why not? Why?), speaking to 5 different people, providing all account information, waiting and waiting... I was already prepared for the last option - a chargeback.

Robin Lovelock

Oct 11, 2017, 1:51:35 PM10/11/17
to andy, Microtransat
Hi Andy. So far, no problem with SPOT cancellations, simply by email. I've also transferred accounts to move air time from a lost SPOT onto a different one.
I don't mind saying publicly this to everyone: if I had a problem, I'd ask my bank to stop paying them, and send someone around to where they live, to give them a polite reminder :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

andy

Apr 27, 2018, 6:03:28 AM4/27/18
to Microtransat
I just updated the SPOT Trace firmware and I see it's automatically turning on when connected to the power source. It looks like there is no need for a timer anymore.