how to turn off controller for windows

Andy

Apr 10, 2008, 6:07:33 PM4/10/08
I have just installed my new XBOX wireless game controller for Windows, it's
working properly, but I can't figure out how to turn it off. I searched for
an answer and I found that the controller is supposed to turn itself off if
you press and hold for 3 seconds the Guide button (the one with a green X in
it) but it does not work for me. I guess that it only works if used in an
XBOX console, and I am using Windows Vista.

So, does anyone know how to turn off the wireless XBOX game controller for
Windows (in Windows Vista)? I'm using the latest driver.

Thanks
Andy

David

Apr 11, 2008, 2:41:49 AM4/11/08
Hold it down for a bit longer and a menu should appear from the right of the
screen with the options Turn Off Controller, Turn Off xbox. Well something
along those lines.

"Andy" <an...@viol.net> wrote in message

Robert Schweitzer

Apr 11, 2008, 6:56:51 AM4/11/08
Unsnap the battery pack

Andy

Apr 11, 2008, 10:27:24 AM4/11/08
It does not work. I can hold it down for minutes and nothing happens.
I am releasing and locking again the battery pack to turn it off which is
just awful but does the trick.
Too bad Microsoft doesn't have a better driver for the controller.

"David" <wib...@wobble.com> wrote in message

Andy

Apr 11, 2008, 10:28:38 AM4/11/08
Yes, that is what I am doing which is a shame, shame on Microsoft...
Unless something is wrong with my system (Windows Vista Home Premium with
SP1 and all latest updates).

"Robert Schweitzer" <bs...@alltel.net> wrote in message

Andy

Apr 14, 2008, 10:43:23 PM4/14/08
I have just found out that after around 15-20 minutes of inactivity (I
didn't clock the exact time), the XBOX controller will turn itself off.

So, problem solved. I always thought that it should turn itself off by
inactivity but I never let it rest for that long, thinking that 5-10 minutes
would be a good amount of time. Today, I forgot it on and when I came
back, it was off. Then I tested it again, left it on on purpose and after
some time, it turned itself off.

Good!

JesterEE

Jul 21, 2011, 12:00:36 AM7/21/11
Found this tonight ... old topic here, but it's worth sharing for new users looking for a good answer.

http://djpety.nt-hosting.hu/XboxExt/