Memory problems when pasting links to PPTs into Word

Greg Babb

Dec 12, 2000, 3:15:27 AM12/12/00
I'm integrating individual slides from PowerPoint into Word by copying each
slide and then using 'Paste Special' to paste the slide link into Word. In
this way the slides as they appear in Word are automatically updated when I
make changes to the PPT file.

The Word document itself is a multifile document that, despite being about
80 pages long, has somehow grown to about 80 MBytes. This seems surprising
in terms of all the memory being used, but what's really bad is that as I
work on the document throughout the day the size of my C:\Temp directory,
with all it's *.tmp and other files, seems to grow exponentially into
gigabytes by day's end.

My strategy so far has been to exit Word entirely at least twice a day, when
I reopen the document the size of C:\Temp is once more only a few megabytes.
But I know it'll grow back to gigabytes after a some hours of work,
especially doing such activities as saving.

Is this a necessary consequence of linking Word to other apps like
PowerPoint? I like the 'link' feature but in this case it's inpractical. I'm
using NT 4.0, Word & PowerPoint '97, SR-2.

Thanks for any ideas or pointers to other resources...

Greg Babb

JP_DAVID

Dec 14, 2000, 10:49:56 AM12/14/00

Hello,
One idea :
have you checked "allow fast saves" in tools \\ options \\ Save tab
If yes, don't check it.

Jeff Zahn

Dec 18, 2000, 6:14:37 AM12/18/00

Greg Babb wrote:

> I'm integrating individual slides from PowerPoint into Word by copying each
> slide and then using 'Paste Special' to paste the slide link into Word. In
> this way the slides as they appear in Word are automatically updated when I
> make changes to the PPT file.

While this SEEMS like a logical use of the features available, I would still
recommend using Copy in Powerpoint and Paste Special/Picture instead of
pasting links. I get better results and the filesizes are smallest.

> The Word document itself is a multifile document that, despite being about
> 80 pages long, has somehow grown to about 80 MBytes.

BZZZT!, it sounds like you're using the dreaded Master Document feature, which
is eschewed by most MVPs around here, see:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm

Greg Babb

Dec 19, 2000, 11:34:27 AM12/19/00
Thanks, I thought something wasn't quite right about master documents... .
I'll also try the Paste Special --> Pictures.

One more question, if I'm not going to use a master document then should I
put everything into one very long document? If for any reason I had to
split my long training manual into subdocuments, would there be any way to
have an automatically updating TOC/index or would I have to update these
manually (this is really why I'd been using the master document feature).

Jeff Zahn <jz...@pipeline.com> wrote in article
<3A3DF19D...@pipeline.com>...

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Dec 19, 2000, 12:34:26 PM12/19/00
The TOC/index can be generated using RD (referenced document) fields. Look
this up in Word's Help.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP