xcopy.exe & attrib.exe - no disk error

tyne

Sep 14, 2008, 12:59:32 PM9/14/08

please help!!!

i always recieve this pop-up error after i remove a cd or dvd from my
rom drive (F:).
it says:

xcopy.exe - No Disk -> header
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive F:
Cancel Try Again Continue -> choices

after that i recieve this error

attrib.exe - No Disk -> header
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive F:
Cancel Try Again Continue -> choices

after i click cancel multiple times it stops but pop ups again after a
few seconds

if i leave a cd or dvd in my rom drive the error stops.

please help...

--
tyne
tyne's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tyne.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

DStar

Sep 29, 2008, 8:48:01 PM9/29/08

I had the same problem when running a (somewhat outdated) database app.
I scoured the system folders, .ini files, and registry for path
references to the CD-ROM drives. I even opened the app in a hex editor
and searched the entire file, but no luck...

After hours of head-scratching and trial-and-error, I FINALLY came up
with a fix. I'ts not quite as simple as changing a config setting, but
it's not too hard. Here it is:

In the /Windows/System32 folder, there is a command-line app called
"rsm.exe." This utility can control almost any facet of the Removable
Media
subsystem, and we will be using it to refresh the Removable Storage
Database.

1 - Open a command window and type the following: rsm view /tlibrary
/guiddisplay. This returns a list of the Removable Storage
devices
in your system.

2 - Create and save a batch file containing the following command:
rsm refresh /lf"{drive_name}", where {drive_name} is the displayed

name of one of your CD drives as learned from step 1. Please note
that
the name has to be entered EXACTLY as shown, and the quotes are
required. Also, if you have more than one CD drive, only one
needs to be
included in the refresh command.

3 - Put the batch file in the /Windows folder and place a shortcut to
the file
in the Startup folder.

When Windows starts up, the batch file will run and spawn a process
called "rsmsink.exe." Now your PC should run without the drive error.

(Interesting note: Even if you kill the "rsmsink.exe" process, the
error is still prevented. I'm not quite sure why :~o)

I hope this helps.

--
DStar
DStar's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/dstar.htm