Updates repeating

Menno Hershberger

May 21, 2012, 5:12:56 PM5/21/12
While I was writing my previous off topic post, I noticed the update icon
in my tray so I went ahead and let it install 3 updates. It notified me
when they were done and didn't require a reboot.

But a couple minutes later, the update icon appeared again. 3 more updates.
So I installed those. Same thing, no reboot required.

But the THIRD time the icon showed up, I wrote down what the three updates
were and let it install them one more time.

So when it showed up for the FOURTH time, I looked again and saw that it
was the same ones again. I then went to Add/Remove programs (show updates
checked) and none of those updates are showing.

So am I asking for trouble if I pick "custom", uncheck them and then tell
it never to ask again?

The updates are:

Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server
2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003
and Windows XP x86 (KB2572073)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003
and Windows XP x86 (KB2633880)

--
-- I'm out of white ink --

Paul

May 21, 2012, 5:30:27 PM5/21/12
On the plus side, .NET updates tend to create log files. I've found
logs in %temp% but they might go in any random location (at the
whim of those clever .NET people). The log may tell you a sad
story of failure etc.

Someone has a similar problem here, and mentions a few error numbers.
The only thing interesting about this post, is it's from July 28, 2011.
Seems a bit strange something like this hasn't been fixed by now.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/why-cant-i-install-kb2518864-and-kb2478658/8894cdc7-8d30-4758-acb0-a255cfa3ca3a

Paul

Menno Hershberger

May 21, 2012, 5:42:30 PM5/21/12
Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote in news:jpec5j$e1t$1...@dont-email.me:
What Googling I did on the subject took me back to the mid 2000's.
Nothing recent. I ran the Microsoft "fixit" that was on the link you gave
but it didn't "fixit". :-)

I did a shutdown. The updates still showed so I let it install them on
shutdown. But after reboot they still persist. I'll just hold off a while
and see if anyone comes up with an answer. I suppose I could do a system
restore, but it would probably just come back anyway.

glee

May 21, 2012, 5:51:06 PM5/21/12
"Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
Reboot and see if it clears up.
If not, and they still show as not installed, try this:

Go to Control Panel> Automatic Updates, turn OFF Automatic Updates and
click OK.

Click Start> Run, type: services.msc |Click OK|

Double-click the Automatic Updates Service, click the Stop button to
stop it, change the Startup Type in the drop-down box, to Disabled, and
click OK.

With Folder Options> View set to show hidden files and folders, open My
Computer and navigate to the following folder:
C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download
Select All files and folders in the \Download folder, and then press the
Delete key to delete them, then close the folder window.

Again, Click Start> Run, type: services.msc |Click OK|

Double-click the Automatic Updates Service, change the Startup Type in
the drop-down box, to Automatic and click Apply, then the Start button.
Click OK after the service starts.

Go to the Windows Update web site (windowsupdate.microsoft.com).
Have it check for updates, using the Custom button, then download and
install the .NET updates when they are detected as being needed. Make
sure you disable the resident background module of your anti-virus while
they are installing. If they install successfully, reboot, then go to
Control Panel> Automatic Updates, turn ON Automatic Updates and click
OK.

If they fail, the details should show the error number for the failure.

Post back with your results.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Menno Hershberger

May 21, 2012, 8:20:25 PM5/21/12
"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in news:jpedcd$l5u$1...@dont-email.me:
OK, I followed your instructions to the T.
The three updates were the only ones that showed up. They were checked and
I told it to install. I noticed that it skipped the "download" part and
went right to the installation. And then the installation failed on all
three counts. So I went right to my installation history and grabbed this
screen shot at http://mewnlite.com/history.gif
If you look closely below the failed updates you'll notice where the same
exact updates had been installed successfully... twice! Actually it was
three times when I scrolled down.

But then I noticed your final statement abou the error number which I
really don't remember seeing. But to be sure I went back and did the update
all over again. But this time they succeeded!

I have rebooted and turned Automatic Updates back on and the tray icon has
not reappeared (it's probably been a half hour now). A couple of things I
did along the way...

Before I emptied the Software Distribution\Download folder I examined it.
The newest entries in it were from 2011. I went back and looked now and
there's 8 new entries from just now and 5 older ones dating back to 2011.
Hard telling how those 5 got there because I had it emptied out just like
you told me to... :-)

Secondly, I went back to Add/Remove and these latest updates are still not
showing. There are quite a few showing from 5/10/1012 which was about a
week and a half ago. I remember about then when there were 9 updates.

I have installed AVG 2012 Free since then. Possibly that was stopping
something but according to the update history, they had installed
successfully. And the ones that showed as failed were done when AVG was
disabled (as you requested).

There's a lot I don't understand here, but after following your
instructions, everything seems to be OK.

And for that I thank you!

glee

May 21, 2012, 9:21:48 PM5/21/12
"Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
In your picture, next to the failed updates are red circles with an X in
them... next to the red circle is a yellow question mark. Clicking the
red X or the question mark will open a small window with the error code.

You can also look at the Windowsupdate.log file in your Windows folder.
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

As Paul mentioned, .NET Framework usually creates it's own log as well,
in your Temp folder.
Click Start> Run, type: %temp%
Click OK.

Look for a text file (.txt) and also an web document file (.html) whose
name usually begins with "Microsoft .NET Framework and contains the KB
numbers of the .NET updates attempted in that update run. For instance,
I have a txt and a html file named Microsoft .NET Framework
2.0-KB2604092_20120514_221939718.html and Microsoft .NET Framework
2.0-KB2604092_20120514_221939718.txt.

The html file will show the result of the installation, and provides
check boxes and buttons to show more info. It is easier to read than
the .txt file, and should show details of any failures.

I'm not sure what happened in your sequence of events, but clearing the
Software Distribution\Download folder may be what eventually cleared it
up. The updates were already installed, and the issue may have been due
to the detection process not getting the message from the system.
Whatever, the procedure seems to have kicked something into working,
finally.

If you really want to pursue what was causing it, even though they're
apparently installed now, try asking in the Microsoft support forums
(ugh) and see if you can get the attention of Mow Green or Noel Paton,
former MVPs who really know the ins and outs of those log files and
failures. I think they both still work on those forums.

Menno Hershberger

May 22, 2012, 12:46:55 AM5/22/12
"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in news:jpeppj$sk5$1@dont-
email.me:
Well now, 8 1/2 hours later, when I thought I had it licked, the same
damn 3 updates just popped up again!

glee

May 22, 2012, 1:34:47 AM5/22/12

> Well now, 8 1/2 hours later, when I thought I had it licked, the same
> damn 3 updates just popped up again!

...and you still haven't supplied the error numbers.

Open the C:\Windows\Windowsupdate.log in Notepad, copy the last 75 lines
or so, and paste them into a reply here, as well as the error numbers
for the failed updates, from the Windows Update site.

You may need to remove all the .NET Framework versions on your computer,
using Aaron Stebner's removal tool, and then install and update .NET 3.5
SP1 cleanly.... which includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0.

Automated cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0
and 3.5 - Aaron Stebner's WebLog -
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

glee

May 22, 2012, 2:03:50 AM5/22/12
"Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message

> Well now, 8 1/2 hours later, when I thought I had it licked, the same
> damn 3 updates just popped up again!

Hang on, Menno..... I was offered the same 3 updates, and the same thing
just happened to me when I installed them a little while ago. I'll have
to see what more I can find out. Something is rotten in Denmark...

I gor error 0x80070002 for all three on the Update site, and they show
as already successfully installed via Automatic Updates just prior, but
do not show in Add or Remove programs.

Smirnoff

May 22, 2012, 2:52:45 AM5/22/12

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
Also getting the same updates re-offered KB2572073, KB2633880 and KB2518864.

However, I am not getting any error messages. In "Review Update History"
(Microsoft Update), they all show as "Successful", whether via automatic
updates or Microsoft Update.

Tried turning off real time protection in MSE and also turned off Trusteer
Rapport and reinstalled but still offered them again.

Strange that this has started now, they all showed as installed on May 9th
(after patch Tuesday 8th).

David H. Lipman

May 22, 2012, 8:14:39 AM5/22/12
From: "Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net>
Deselect the updates and then check the box indicating not receive these
updates again.

I had that too but not any longer ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

glee

May 22, 2012, 9:42:18 AM5/22/12
"Smirnoff" <som...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>> "Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Well now, 8 1/2 hours later, when I thought I had it licked, the
>>> same
>>> damn 3 updates just popped up again!
>>
>> Hang on, Menno..... I was offered the same 3 updates, and the same
>> thing just happened to me when I installed them a little while ago.
>> I'll have to see what more I can find out. Something is rotten in
>> Denmark...
>>
>> I gor error 0x80070002 for all three on the Update site, and they
>> show as already successfully installed via Automatic Updates just
>> prior, but do not show in Add or Remove programs.
>>

> Also getting the same updates re-offered KB2572073, KB2633880 and
> KB2518864.
>
> However, I am not getting any error messages. In "Review Update
> History" (Microsoft Update), they all show as "Successful", whether
> via automatic updates or Microsoft Update.
>
> Tried turning off real time protection in MSE and also turned off
> Trusteer Rapport and reinstalled but still offered them again.
>
> Strange that this has started now, they all showed as installed on May
> 9th (after patch Tuesday 8th).

I've contacted some MVPs and former MVPs who investigated and are also
getting the same problem. One has discovered from the logs and errors
that issue appears to be a supercedence issue due to an error made by
Microsoft Update. In other words, it's on their end, not ours. She has
notified the people at Windows Update so that they can take action to
correct this.... once morning comes to Redmond. Hopefully some
resolution will occur soon.... hang in there.

glee

May 22, 2012, 9:43:15 AM5/22/12

> Deselect the updates and then check the box indicating not receive
> these updates again.
>
> I had that too but not any longer ;-)

Dave.... see my reply to Smirnoff.... it is an issue with the update
site, hopefully to be corrected soon.

David H. Lipman

May 22, 2012, 10:01:27 AM5/22/12
From: "glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com>

>> Deselect the updates and then check the box indicating not receive
>> these updates again.
>>
>> I had that too but not any longer ;-)
>
> Dave.... see my reply to Smirnoff.... it is an issue with the update
> site, hopefully to be corrected soon.

Grazie!

Barry Bruyea

May 22, 2012, 10:02:41 AM5/22/12
I'm getting the same problem with three updates repeating and then
installing on shutdown and when I reboot, the Shield of St. Gates is
still appearing.

glee

May 22, 2012, 10:25:25 AM5/22/12
"Barry Bruyea" <damnthet...@duck.com> wrote in message

> I'm getting the same problem with three updates repeating and then
> installing on shutdown and when I reboot, the Shield of St. Gates is
> still appearing.

It has been discovered to be a problem with detection at the Update
site, not at the user end. Waiting for MS to fix it now.... I'll post
here when I see a notification that it's been fixed.

Menno Hershberger

May 22, 2012, 1:39:43 PM5/22/12
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
Yep. That's what I did. The report in my update history said it was
already installed anyway. So why wear it out?
Of course that still doesn't explain why they don't show up in the
Add/Remove program list.

Michael T.

May 22, 2012, 1:45:23 PM5/22/12
"Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

> Yep. That's what I did. The report in my update history said it was
> already installed anyway. So why wear it out?
> Of course that still doesn't explain why they don't show up in the
> Add/Remove program list.

Did you see the comment by poster 'glee'?

************
I've contacted some MVPs and former MVPs who investigated and are also
getting the same problem. One has discovered from the logs and errors
that issue appears to be a supercedence issue due to an error made by
Microsoft Update. In other words, it's on their end, not ours. She has
notified the people at Windows Update so that they can take action to
correct this.... once morning comes to Redmond. Hopefully some
resolution will occur soon.... hang in there.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
CompTIA A+
**********

Menno Hershberger

May 22, 2012, 1:54:21 PM5/22/12
"Michael T." <no_spa...@cox.net> wrote in news:jpgjbh$lq5$1@dont-
email.me:

> "Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yep. That's what I did. The report in my update history said it was
>> already installed anyway. So why wear it out?
>> Of course that still doesn't explain why they don't show up in the
>> Add/Remove program list.
>>

> Did you see the comment by poster 'glee'?

Yep. He's the one I've been working with.

sharonf

May 22, 2012, 3:43:12 PM5/22/12
I'm having the same problem and was directed to this thread from another
newsgroup. It's been driving me crazy and I've wasted a lot of time
trying to fix the problem. It's good to know the problem is not on my
end but I sure hope that it's fixed soon.

glee

May 22, 2012, 4:03:02 PM5/22/12
"Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
Well, it's been fixed, you just have to get the notification to stop if
the yellow shield is still showing in your taskbar, saying they are
available.

In my case, I have Automatic Updates set to Notify me of updates but not
download or install. I went to the Microsoft Update web site in IE,
clicked the Custom scan button, and it showed that no critical updates
were available. At that point, the yellow shield notification
disappeared. Yay.

If you don't do it that way... by going to the MU or WU site to scan...
you could try just letting it install again and see if that's enough to
make it go away this time, because it would just over-install the
updates and quit. SUPPOSEDLY, if your AU is set to Automatic, you
should not have to do anything.

Give it a whirl.

glee

May 22, 2012, 4:04:48 PM5/22/12
"Barry Bruyea" <damnthet...@duck.com> wrote in message

> I'm getting the same problem with three updates repeating and then
> installing on shutdown and when I reboot, the Shield of St. Gates is
> still appearing.

glee

May 22, 2012, 4:05:30 PM5/22/12

> Also getting the same updates re-offered KB2572073, KB2633880 and
> KB2518864.
>
> However, I am not getting any error messages. In "Review Update
> History" (Microsoft Update), they all show as "Successful", whether
> via automatic updates or Microsoft Update.
>
> Tried turning off real time protection in MSE and also turned off
> Trusteer Rapport and reinstalled but still offered them again.
>
> Strange that this has started now, they all showed as installed on May
> 9th (after patch Tuesday 8th).

Well, it's been fixed, you just have to get the notification to stop if
the yellow shield is still showing in your taskbar, saying they are
available.

In my case, I have Automatic Updates set to Notify me of updates but not
download or install. I went to the Microsoft Update web site in IE,
clicked the Custom scan button, and it showed that no critical updates
were available. At that point, the yellow shield notification
disappeared. Yay.

If you don't do it that way... by going to the MU or WU site to scan...
you could try just letting it install again and see if that's enough to
make it go away this time, because it would just over-install the
updates and quit. SUPPOSEDLY, if your AU is set to Automatic, you
should not have to do anything.

Give it a whirl.

glee

May 22, 2012, 4:05:57 PM5/22/12
"sharonf" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> I'm having the same problem and was directed to this thread from
> another newsgroup. It's been driving me crazy and I've wasted a lot of
> time trying to fix the problem. It's good to know the problem is not
> on my end but I sure hope that it's fixed soon.

Michael T.

May 22, 2012, 4:27:57 PM5/22/12
"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote:

> Well, it's been fixed, you just have to get the notification to stop if
> the yellow shield is still showing in your taskbar, saying they are
> available.
>
> In my case, I have Automatic Updates set to Notify me of updates but not
> download or install. I went to the Microsoft Update web site in IE,
> clicked the Custom scan button, and it showed that no critical updates
> were available. At that point, the yellow shield notification
> disappeared. Yay.
>
> If you don't do it that way... by going to the MU or WU site to scan...
> you could try just letting it install again and see if that's enough to
> make it go away this time, because it would just over-install the
> updates and quit. SUPPOSEDLY, if your AU is set to Automatic, you
> should not have to do anything.
>
> Give it a whirl.
> --
> Glen Ventura
> MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> CompTIA A+

My problem is I cannot unhide the three updates so they appear when I click
on Custom scan.

Been researching for a while. If I find a solution I will post it here.

Footnote:
These steps should have worked.
*************************************
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl -- then press ENTER.

***********
Alternatively, right click My Computer on your Desktop.
Select Properties (menu).
Select Automatic Updates (tab).
*************

Click on the link at the bottom
"Offer updates again that I've previously hidden."

Note: The link will be disabled (grayed out) if you have not hidden any
updates.
*****************

Linea Recta

May 22, 2012, 4:34:59 PM5/22/12

"Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> schreef in bericht
Same problem here today with same update numbers:
(KB2572073)
(KB2633880)
(KB2518864)

After 3 attempts I quitted "updating" because I'm really too busy to play
around with these so called MS updates.
I'll have to keep in touch with yet another (this) news group...

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

glee

May 22, 2012, 5:52:19 PM5/22/12
"Michael T." <no_spa...@cox.net> wrote in message
> "glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, it's been fixed, you just have to get the notification to stop
>> if
>> the yellow shield is still showing in your taskbar, saying they are
>> available.
>>
>> In my case, I have Automatic Updates set to Notify me of updates but
>> not
>> download or install. I went to the Microsoft Update web site in IE,
>> clicked the Custom scan button, and it showed that no critical
>> updates
>> were available. At that point, the yellow shield notification
>> disappeared. Yay.
>>
>> If you don't do it that way... by going to the MU or WU site to
>> scan...
>> you could try just letting it install again and see if that's enough
>> make it go away this time, because it would just over-install the
>> updates and quit. SUPPOSEDLY, if your AU is set to Automatic, you
>> should not have to do anything.
>>
>> Give it a whirl.
>
> My problem is I cannot unhide the three updates so they appear when I
> click on Custom scan.
>
> Been researching for a while. If I find a solution I will post it
> here.
>
> Footnote:
> These steps should have worked.
> *************************************
> Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl -- then press ENTER.
>
> ***********
> Alternatively, right click My Computer on your Desktop.
> Select Properties (menu).
> Select Automatic Updates (tab).
> *************
>
> Click on the link at the bottom
> "Offer updates again that I've previously hidden."
>
> Note: The link will be disabled (grayed out) if you have not hidden
> any updates.
> *****************

Does that procedure (from the System CP> AutoUpdates tab) actually take
you to the WU or MU web site in the browser? Try going directly to
Windows (or Microsoft) Update in IE, and click the restore hidden
updates option there. If there are none there, then the false detection
from Automatic Updates has probably cleared them there too.... nothing
more to do, your work is done.

glee

May 22, 2012, 5:54:06 PM5/22/12
"Linea Recta" <bleep...@bleep.invalid> wrote in message
....OR, you could have just read the other posts in this thread before
you posted, and would have seen the resolution while you were here, with
no need to keep in touch.

Menno Hershberger

May 22, 2012, 6:34:46 PM5/22/12
"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in
OK, I just unhid them on my computer. Sure enough they popped up again
and I'm letting them install again. If that doesn't get rid of them for
good then I'll try the browser route.

Menno Hershberger

May 22, 2012, 6:45:53 PM5/22/12
Menno Hershberger <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote in
The icon DID pop up again, so I went to Windows Update. About the time I
got the message that "No important updates are available" I caught the
update icon disappearing with my peripheral vision! I'm guessing it's
gone forever now.

Michael T.

May 22, 2012, 6:57:12 PM5/22/12
"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote:

> Does that procedure (from the System CP> AutoUpdates tab) actually take
> you to the WU or MU web site in the browser? Try going directly to
> Windows (or Microsoft) Update in IE, and click the restore hidden updates
> option there. If there are none there, then the false detection from
> Automatic Updates has probably cleared them there too.... nothing more to
> do, your work is done.
> --
> Glen Ventura
> MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> CompTIA A+

Thanks for the feedback Glenn.

I did go directly to Microsoft Update in IE.

I would feel a lot more confident that these three security updates were
actually installed if they appeared in Add/Remove Programs.

I must say that I see no change on either of my computers since last
night -- i.e., before a fix was reportedly implemented. Perhaps it fixed
some users problems, but not all. Hmmm.

glee

May 22, 2012, 8:00:00 PM5/22/12
"Menno Hershberger" <mher...@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
yay...

glee

May 22, 2012, 7:59:24 PM5/22/12
"Michael T." <no_spa...@cox.net> wrote in message
No, the 3 updates should NOT appear in Add or Remove Programs. They
were installed at one time, but were superseded by KB2604092, which
SHOULD appear in Add/Remove instead. The problem apparently occurred
when KB2693777 was pulled off the Update server (due to detection issues
I think), and AU detection made the XP (and Server 2003) pull down these
older .NET updates again.....and again... and...

If you don't have any hidden updates listed and you have KB2604092
showing as installed, AND the update icon has disappeared from your
taskbar, then it is fixed. Is the yellow shield notification gone from
your taskbar now, after doing a custom scan for updates at the MU web
site?

Michael T.

May 22, 2012, 8:19:25 PM5/22/12
"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote:

> No, the 3 updates should NOT appear in Add or Remove Programs. They were
> installed at one time, but were superseded by KB2604092, which SHOULD
> appear in Add/Remove instead. The problem apparently occurred when
> KB2693777 was pulled off the Update server (due to detection issues I
> think), and AU detection made the XP (and Server 2003) pull down these
> older .NET updates again.....and again... and...
>
> If you don't have any hidden updates listed and you have KB2604092 showing
> as installed, AND the update icon has disappeared from your taskbar, then
> it is fixed. Is the yellow shield notification gone from your taskbar
> now, after doing a custom scan for updates at the MU web site?
> --
> Glen Ventura
> MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> CompTIA A+

So my complaint about the 'problem' updates not appearing in Add/Remove
programs was bogus.

That's great news.

BTW, update KB2604092 does appear in Add/Remove Programs with a date of
5/10/2012.

glee

May 22, 2012, 8:27:42 PM5/22/12
> "glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, the 3 updates should NOT appear in Add or Remove Programs. They
>> were installed at one time, but were superseded by KB2604092, which
>> SHOULD appear in Add/Remove instead. The problem apparently occurred
>> when KB2693777 was pulled off the Update server (due to detection
>> issues I think), and AU detection made the XP (and Server 2003) pull
>> down these older .NET updates again.....and again... and...
>>
>> If you don't have any hidden updates listed and you have KB2604092
>> showing as installed, AND the update icon has disappeared from your
>> taskbar, then it is fixed. Is the yellow shield notification gone
>> from your taskbar now, after doing a custom scan for updates at the
>> MU web site?
>
> So my complaint about the 'problem' updates not appearing in
> Add/Remove programs was bogus.
>
> That's great news.
>
> BTW, update KB2604092 does appear in Add/Remove Programs with a date
> of 5/10/2012.

In that case, if notifications for those updates are not appearing any
longer in the taskbar, then you're good to go!

Bill in Co

May 22, 2012, 8:44:07 PM5/22/12
"Welcome back to the cause..." (re: Casablanca)
(I hear ya, and gave up on such long ago. :-)

Smirnoff

May 23, 2012, 5:15:36 AM5/23/12

"Bill in Co" <surly_cu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Seems OK now. Booted up this morning and update shield was in the taskbar
but after a few minutes it disappeared. Checked Microsoft Update and was
only offered a new definition update (optional) for MSE.

Linea Recta

May 23, 2012, 9:17:52 AM5/23/12

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> schreef in bericht
OK, after switching on my computer today, I saw the update icon appearing
again. I was just going to read through the thread for a solution, but
meanwhile I saw the yellow icon disappearing by itself. I hope all is OK
with the updates now.

glee

May 23, 2012, 12:01:51 PM5/23/12
"Linea Recta" <bleep...@bleep.invalid> wrote in message
Yes, that's what should happen now that they fixed it. You should show
.NET update KB2604092 as installed, in Add Or Remove Programs with the
Show Updates box check-marked.

Linea Recta

May 23, 2012, 2:22:51 PM5/23/12

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> schreef in bericht
OK, thanks for replying.
To be very precise the following happened:
After my previous reply here I had the computer switched off for several
hours.
When I switched on again this evening, I got... the yellow update icon again
(!!)
I decided to let it do its job, but after some time I got the message:
"Can not install
Beveiligingsupdate voor Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 op Windows Server
2003 en Windows XP x86 (KB2633880)"

After reading your last reply I have searched in "Add Or Remove Programs"
for KB2604092 and I found it.
I do find it strange though that it says: "installed on 9-5-2012"

glee

May 23, 2012, 9:33:58 PM5/23/12

> "glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> schreef in bericht
That's the date KB2604092 was installed.... it was released on the 8th.
It superseded the other three involved in this issue. Then it was taken
off the server to fix a "detection issue", and the Update site went
wacky and thought the three old updates needed to be re-installed...
forever.