Strange file ________ (8x underscore) keeps appearing in drive roots.

1 view

dh

Jan 14, 2003, 2:43:37 PM1/14/03
It has shown up a couple times now, at the top of every local hard drive and partition.

________
(eight underscores and no file extension, 0 bytes, archive attribute is set.)

Deleted all 4 of them the first time. Stayed gone several days, reappeared just now... seems
weird! Norton antivirus thinks the computer is clean. I could not find this file name mentioned
in a virus encyclpaedia (tried @ mcaffee too). Could not find anything in MS knowledge base.
Found a couple usenet threads of ppl asking the very same question, oldest from 1999 and
regarding Windows 98. No answers! I write regarding Win XP Pro SP1. I am scared of this
obviously harmless file and the angry spirits who are placing it everywhere!~ Please write to
me with soothing words and/or solution answers.

--
dh
--

redact lie to reply: dhexLOVE...@pacbell.net

The Reverend XP

Jan 14, 2003, 3:59:37 PM1/14/03
I can think of several free utilities that may eliminate
this peculiar behaviour. JV16 Power Tools and the registry
cleaner. SpyBot Search and Destroy for it's ability to
root out and eliminate spyware\adware. Good luck.