Re: Windows update error code 0x800b0003 on 2000 server

Robert Aldwinckle

Jan 21, 2007, 1:02:17 AM1/21/07
(cross-post added to Server General)
"RPT" <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0D2A55AF-E988-4AC8...@microsoft.com
> [Subject: Windows update error code 0x800b0003 on 2000 server]
> Does anybody have any information regarding this error code?

Try a search?

http://docxp.mvps.org/WU5-ERR.htm

(Live Search for
0x800b0003 microsoft codes
)

<quote>
0x800B0003 -2146762749 TRUST E SUBJECT FORM UNKNOWN
The form specified by the subject is not one supported or known by the specified trust provider
</quote>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813442

(Live Search for
0x800B0003 site:support.microsoft.com
)

And others... This one was written for XP but I think it could apply to
your OS too. Cross-posting to Server General.

Also, since you are using the web interface you can use its search
to find that procedures similar to the ones suggested in that article
are usually suggested when 0x800B0003 is reported.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

RPT

Jan 22, 2007, 2:54:01 AM1/22/07
I found this site while searching before posting this a s question.

http://docxp.mvps.org/WU5-ERR.htm

> (Live Search for
> 0x800b0003 microsoft codes
> )
>
> <quote>
> 0x800B0003 -2146762749 TRUST E SUBJECT FORM UNKNOWN
> The form specified by the subject is not one supported or known by the specified trust provider
> </quote>

used the KB article 81342
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813442

but, returns error:-

LoadLibrary("sccbase.dll") failed.
GetLastError returns 0x0000007e

while regsvr32 sccbase32.dll

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Server General)

Robert Aldwinckle

Jan 22, 2007, 9:41:32 AM1/22/07

>I found this site while searching before posting this a s question.

> used the KB article 81342
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813442
>
> but, returns error:-
>
> LoadLibrary("sccbase.dll") failed.
> GetLastError returns 0x0000007e

Then why not say so first? ; ]

Apparently for your OS that should work. E.g. it does have an entrypoint
for DllRegisterServer in that module:

http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/?fid=199294&l=55&det=1

In that case what I would do is use DependencyWalker's Profiler feature
to trace the calls that that command is making. Somewhere in it you may
get a clue about what is causing that return code. E.g. the real failure may
be as a result of a problem with another dependent module which the article
hasn't mentioned.

You could also try the tack of trying to get an interpretation of the return code
but without any other context I think that wouldn't be likely to help much.

Hmm... in fact it may be a very good clue for what you could expect
DependencyWalker to show you. Converting the hex to decimal:

<example>
>net helpmsg 126

The specified module could not be found.
</example>

In that case you may also get sufficient supplementary diagnostics by
running ProcMon while executing that regsvr32 command again.

Good luck

Robert
---