Error number: 0x8DDD0002 Windows Vista

Joe Bontke

Aug 20, 2007, 7:22:00 PM8/20/07
I have seen several posts regarding Win XP but there is nothing in reference
to this error with VISTA. Is the fix for this the same as XP or is there
something else I should try.

The text of the error message is as follows:

To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an
administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If
you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User
Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator
for help with updates.

I am running Vista Home Premium and I am the only user set up as an
Administrator on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peace!!

--
Joe Bontke

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Aug 21, 2007, 4:30:57 AM8/21/07
Try the free Windows Update support incident request:

Post back with any solutions as it may help others with Vista related problems.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Joe Bontke" <JoeB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Sep 12, 2007, 5:10:10 AM9/12/07
Vista Features Explained: Automatic Updates
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/windowsupdate.mspx

For Vista the website has been replaced by Windows Update in Control Panel. If you want to
check for updates manually, follow these steps:
1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then
clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Check for updates.

0x8DDD0002 = ErrorNotAdmin

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/muoptdefault.aspx?returnurl=http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate&ln=en-us&muopt=6

| ...lists the operating systems supported by Microsoft Update. These are:
| W2K, WXP and W2003. Vista is not listed !
|
| So it looks like Microsofts own update service does not support their latest
| offering, to the extent that it can't even tell you that Vista is not
| supported.

Jeff

Sep 12, 2007, 5:30:00 AM9/12/07
It's not the Windows Updates that you describe that is the problem (that
works ok for me most of the time, although I do have to do manual updates
sometimes because the automatic ones fail).

The problem occurs when clicking the button on the bottom right of the
Windows Update page: "Get updates for more products" (e.g. to get updates
for Office etc.)

It is when I follow the web pages through from that button that I eventually
hit the failure message that Joe has given below.

When pursuing that further I eventually came to the page I gave below, that
states the O/Ss supported by Microsoft Update. Vista is not listed.

Regards

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

dr_no_u

Oct 12, 2007, 2:48:01 PM10/12/07
Hello all,

I have just come across the dredded Error 0x8DDD0002 whilst working on
someones Vista Home Premium laptop for them today so decided to get to the
bottom of the problem. I 've not quite got the bottom of it yet but try this
solution as it has worked for me.

The solution may have arisen as a culmination of the usual fixes but here is
how i managed.

1. Stop Windows Update Service - Start, Run, type 'services.msc', press
Enter or Start, click in Start Search box, type 'services.msc'. The services
box will appear and scroll down to 'Windows Update', right click 'Windows
Update and click 'Stop'.

2. Navigate into C:\ Drive, 'Windows' folder and right click
'SoftwareDistribution' and check "Administrators" has full control permission
on the 'SoftwareDistribution' folder. If it doesnt change the so it does. (In
my case i did not have to change any Security Settings). An alternative would
be to rename the 'SoftwareDistribution' folder at this point to
SoftwareDistribution.old for example.

3. Open an 'Internet Explorer' page (Blue E Icon) click on 'Tools' then
'Internet Options'. Click on the 'Advanced' tab on the right hand side and
then click 'Reset' to Reset Internet Explorer Settings (Inc Home Page). Close
off 'Internet Eplorer' page.

4. Start Windows Update Service - Start, Run, type 'services.msc', press
Enter or Start, click in Start Search box, type 'services.msc'. The services
box will appear and scroll down to 'Windows Update', right click 'Windows
Update and click 'Start'.

5. Open a new Internet Explorer page and visit the folowing link/page:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?ln=en-us

This should now present you with the Vista Microsoft Update agreement page.
Chech mark the agreement box and click next then install to install Microsoft
Update.

You should now have a fully working and functional Microsoft Update for
windows Vista that was being stopped by Error Code 0x8DDD0002 'have to be
logged on as an administrator type message.

See how you get on, post your replies success or failures.

mortis

Mar 1, 2008, 1:44:01 AM3/1/08
joe i too had the same problem but in order to fix it i closed certain programs
ie: picaso viewer, sidebar, windows live messenger and the myspace messenger
then i found that the update went ok
i do hope that helped
Mortis