Media State........... : Media disconnected

VolleyballMom

Apr 9, 2008, 12:18:00 AM4/9/08
My daughter's new PC came with Vista Home basic installed. Neither of us has
worked with Vista before. When I looked up the IP address to add it to our
home wireless network this is what I found:

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Connection 2:
Media State........... : Media disconnected
Connection - specific DNS suffix . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State........... : Media disconnected
Connection - specific DNS suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
Media State........... : Media disconnected
Connection - specific DNS suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
Media State........... : Media disconnected
Connection - specific DNS suffix . :

Needless to say there's no internet connection, and I can't find anything
else wrong. I'm hoping that someone out there knows what we're missing or
what's wrong.

Robert L. (MS-MVP)

Apr 9, 2008, 11:25:33 AM4/9/08
Do you have wireless signal?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"VolleyballMom" <Volley...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

VolleyballMom

Apr 9, 2008, 5:44:00 PM4/9/08
Thank you for responding to my plea for help! I do have a wireless signal and
the PC now has a wireless connection. I'll write out the steps I took before
it resolved, just in case it helps someone else out there searching for
answers, though I'm not sure which step was the right one.

Step 1: I turned off all of the Windows security features (firewall,
Defender, Secure User Accounts, etc.) just in case something wasn't allowing
an internet connection. I figured that once it was connected I could turn
them back on one at a time.

Step 2: I clicked Start, then Control Panel, then Network & Sharing Center,
then Manage Network Connections, then I right clicked on the Wireless
Connection, then clicked Properties, unchecked IPv6 and then clicked OK. Just
for good measure I went back and did the same thing for the Ethernet
Connection.

Step 3: I had forgotten that for wireless security only MAC addresses are
filtered, so I didn't even need the IP address. I accessed our router’s
web-based setup page from another PC and entered the new PC's MAC address.
Then I went back to the new PC, clicked Start, Connect To, double clicked on
our wireless network, re-entered the passcode and other information for our
network and it finally connected!

Robert L. (MS-MVP)

Apr 9, 2008, 6:09:10 PM4/9/08
Thank you for the update.