CD impersonating Neighbor's Vacumn Cleaner

Shawn Thomas

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

Do you know who the original maker of you cd-rom is? No-name high speed
cd-rom drives can be notorious for making extremely loud noises due to
vibration. I know, I had the same problem with a 16x, could hear it from the
other end of the house. Took it back and got a name brand 12x that has
dampening mechanisms to prevent vibration noise. Got me as to why you are
having this problem with just this cd.

--
Shawn Thomas
(remove the no-spam x's from my return address to e-mail me)

Jetstar88.3 wrote in message ...

|Around Thanksgiving I started to hear this groaning noise coming from the
|floor where the CPU (Gateway 133, 12X CD rom) resides. Since it was close
|a holiday weekend and we live on the top floor of a condo, I figured it was
|my downstairs neighbor vacumming.
|Last week I heard it again and was able to determine that it was coming
from
|the PC cabinet, or more specifically the CD Rom.
|It is most noticeable not when an application is being run, but when the
|system is booting up. It is only [as far as I can tell so far] doing this
on
|a particular CD which has been in use for several months prior to this
noise
|beginning. It's my daughter's Hercules (Disney) CD.
|So the next thing I did was to take the CD to work and try it there. Only
|tried 2 PC's (also Gateways) but did not hear the noise.
|Tried a CD cleaner disk today on the drive itself and so far the noise is
|unchanged.
|Does anyone know if there is a way to confirm whether it's just one bad CD
|or the drive itself, without popping CD after CD into the drive and
|listening for the sound?
|Any advice or info appreciated.
|
| Jetstar88
| Jets...@msn.com

Jetstar88.3

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

mikey

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97
if not absolutely positive its the cd, it may be the floppy on bootup grinding checking for a floppy in it.

CrazyLady

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

I had the same problem. I opened the case, tightened all the mounting screws
and the when I put the cover of the case back on, I made sure those were
really tight. Helped quite a bit. Now it is only a dull low hum. (only on
bootup) Maybe this will help.
Linda

Shawn Thomas wrote in message
<#m8UqE3D...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...

>Do you know who the original maker of you cd-rom is? No-name high speed
>cd-rom drives can be notorious for making extremely loud noises due to
>vibration. I know, I had the same problem with a 16x, could hear it from
the
>other end of the house. Took it back and got a name brand 12x that has
>dampening mechanisms to prevent vibration noise. Got me as to why you are
>having this problem with just this cd.
>
>--
>Shawn Thomas
>(remove the no-spam x's from my return address to e-mail me)

Robert Avery Hornberg

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Jetstar88.3 wrote:

> Around Thanksgiving I started to hear this groaning noise coming from the
> floor where the CPU (Gateway 133, 12X CD rom) resides. Since it was close to
> a holiday weekend and we live on the top floor of a condo, I figured it was
> my downstairs neighbor vacumming.
> Last week I heard it again and was able to determine that it was coming from
> the PC cabinet, or more specifically the CD Rom.
> It is most noticeable not when an application is being run, but when the
> system is booting up. It is only [as far as I can tell so far] doing this on
> a particular CD which has been in use for several months prior to this noise
> beginning. It's my daughter's Hercules (Disney) CD.
> So the next thing I did was to take the CD to work and try it there. Only
> tried 2 PC's (also Gateways) but did not hear the noise.
> Tried a CD cleaner disk today on the drive itself and so far the noise is
> unchanged.
> Does anyone know if there is a way to confirm whether it's just one bad CD
> or the drive itself, without popping CD after CD into the drive and
> listening for the sound?
> Any advice or info appreciated.
>
> Jetstar88
> Jets...@msn.com
=======
I have a 20x that does something like that on certain discs. It is
maddening, because my tower case cover vibrates until the drive
downshifts. I guess I'll have to pull the case and do a general
snuggin-up. The drive is a Mitsumi, for the record.
--
Cheers,
BobH

Robert Avery Hornberg

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Jetstar88.3 wrote:

> Around Thanksgiving I started to hear this groaning noise coming from the
> floor where the CPU (Gateway 133, 12X CD rom) resides. Since it was close to
> a holiday weekend and we live on the top floor of a condo, I figured it was
> my downstairs neighbor vacumming.
> Last week I heard it again and was able to determine that it was coming from
> the PC cabinet, or more specifically the CD Rom.
> It is most noticeable not when an application is being run, but when the
> system is booting up. It is only [as far as I can tell so far] doing this on
> a particular CD which has been in use for several months prior to this noise
> beginning. It's my daughter's Hercules (Disney) CD.
> So the next thing I did was to take the CD to work and try it there. Only
> tried 2 PC's (also Gateways) but did not hear the noise.
> Tried a CD cleaner disk today on the drive itself and so far the noise is
> unchanged.
> Does anyone know if there is a way to confirm whether it's just one bad CD
> or the drive itself, without popping CD after CD into the drive and
> listening for the sound?
> Any advice or info appreciated.
>
> Jetstar88
> Jets...@msn.com
=======
Vacuum cleaner or Blender?

Jetstar88.1

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

It's a Toshiba XM-5702B, and it came with the PC. I don't consider Toshiba
an off brand, but when it comes to CD Roms, I don't know who is mainstream.

And it's not really THAT loud. But it is definitely louder than it was for
the 11 months preceding this one. It IS loud enough to cause someone to say
to themself "what is that sound and what does it mean?" or "what is getting
ready to break now?".

Jetstar88.1

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Well I have to admit that I did remove the CDRom a few weeks ago to get to
the mounting screws on one side of the hard drive. Of course this was before
I discovered the easier way of removing the hard drive bay instead.

But I checked for rattling and vibrations and can't duplicate (with power
off anyway).

I might just try removing and retightening the screws to at least see if the
sound changes.

Thanks. You reminded me of a possible cause (having not seated the CDrom
exactly the way it was before I removed it) that I had dismissed as
unlikely.

Jets...@msn.com

Jetstar88.1

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Well it's a Toshiba. And a blender? Yeah, it could pass for that too. Just
thought of a vacumn cleaner first.

It's somewhere between a whime and a groan. Not very loud. Sort of an extra
noise superimposed over the more familiar CDROM noise which sounds just like
a fan. At one point I suspected the fan/powersupply, but it's definitely the
CDrom or at least in the CDrom location.

Thanks,

Jets...@msn.com

Jeff Richards

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Post a wav file so we can all understand what we're dealing with here ;-)

Jetstar88.1 <jets...@email.msn.com> wrote in article
<#qBNyMC...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...

Jetstar88.3

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

I'm 98% sure you're kidding (certainly made me laugh) , but just in case you
weren't I should tell you that I never connected up my microphone, so
creating a wav file could be difficult.

Guess I felt I could swear at my PC quite well without any electronic
assistance...thank you.

Jetstar88
Jeff Richards wrote in message
<01bd1026$272e7680$0616...@jrichard.honeywell.com.au>...

Melissa

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Sounds familiar....I have a couple of cd's that rumble like crazy. I think
sometimes that the ink stamped on the cd's causes the noise. Some makers
such as Gateway stopped inking their cd's heavily a couple of years ago due
to this.

Melissa

Robert Avery Hornberg <CAS...@earthling.net> wrote in article
<34A075...@earthling.net>...

Robert K. Henry

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

I think the CD pressing plants are going to have to pay more attention to
balance on their pressings with all the high-speed CD-rom Drives out now. A
CD that might run smoothly at 1x or 4x becomes quite obviously out of
balance at 12x or higher speed. This old 'puter has a 4x and I've never
noticed much vibration at all (well, some) but I put a 12x drive in my
Sister's computer and she has one disk that makes a helluva racket when
it's running. You can feel the computer cabinet vibrating. CD drive makers
might give more attention to vibration damping but that's only a
half-solution. Even with everything mounted on vibration dampers the
vibration is still there and eventually it's going to wreck the tiny little
wires inside the CD drive. A perfectly-balanced disk from the pressing
plant is the only solution. I guess the only way to achieve that is to
complain to software publishers about out-of-balance disks.
--
Bob Henry

Jetstar88.3 <jets...@email.msn.com> wrote in article
<upmWF12...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...

Jim Kirkpatrick

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

My win95 upgrade CD disk shakes like that in my cheapo 4x drive. Im afraid
to try it in a 12x.

JEK