Tool 'depends' - Depends.exe (1/1)

Katy Mulvey

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

In <O6x9ymv...@uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net>, Mike Lastort
<lastort...@his.com> wrote:
>I saw your post of this encoded file on Deja News, where encoded files are
>removed. I wanted to grab it from the microsoft public NNTP server, but it's
>expired. Would you mind posting it again, or e-mailing it to me?

The DEPENDS.EXE utility is from a Microsoft Systems Journal article
from February, 1997. Check their web site, http://www.microsoft.com/msj

Katy

Mike Lastort

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

Katy Mulvey wrote in message <63v3ck$1hf0$2...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>...

Katy,

Thanks for the info. I've downloaded the source from that issue of MSJ, and
was able to use the DEPENDS.EXE program. This was a great help in figuring
out what DLLs needed to be deployed for an app.

The only problem is that this program is a command line utility. There was a
program that MS shipped with an older version of the Win32 SDK (I think)
that was a really great windows-based version of the same program. I last
used it about a year ago. I'm 90% certain I got it from Microsoft's web site
when I DL'ed the current version of the Win32 SDK. Has anyone else seen or
used this utility? It was called DEPENDS.EXE.

Mike Lastort
las...@his.com

Vance Gloster

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

Hi Mike,

Here is the utility that I think you are after. It is a great GUI-based
dependency utility also called Depends. I do not have the help file for it.
Anyone know where I could get the help file? The utility was written by
Steve P. Miller at Microsoft.

-Vance Gloster

Mike Lastort wrote in message ...

>>The DEPENDS.EXE utility is from a Microsoft Systems Journal article
>>from February, 1997. Check their web site, http://www.microsoft.com/msj

>Thanks for the info. I've downloaded the source from that issue of MSJ, and
>was able to use the DEPENDS.EXE program. This was a great help in figuring
>out what DLLs needed to be deployed for an app.
>
>The only problem is that this program is a command line utility. There was
>program that MS shipped with an older version of the Win32 SDK (I think)
>that was a really great windows-based version of the same program. I last
>used it about a year ago. I'm 90% certain I got it from Microsoft's web
site
>when I DL'ed the current version of the Win32 SDK. Has anyone else seen or
>used this utility? It was called DEPENDS.EXE.
>
>Mike Lastort
>las...@his.com

begin 666 DEPENDS.EXE
<encoded_portion_removed>
end

Mike Lastort

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

Vance,

Thanks very much! And in reply, here's a copy of an entire zip, which also
contains the help file. It was e-mailed to me by a developer in Germany
(Danke, Frank!).

Mike Lastort

begin 666 depends10_x86.zip
<encoded_portion_removed>
end

Steve Miller

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

There has been several questions about what depends is and where to get it.
I thought maybe I could help clear things up bit. For starters, there are
two separate applications called "depends.exe". One is a console
application written by Matt Pietrek for MSJ magazine
http://www.microsoft.com/msj/ ), the other one is a GUI application I wrote
for Microsoft. They both do similar things, but are unrelated (I did not
know about Matt's version and I don't believe he knew about mine). Matt's
command line version can be found in the February 97 issue of MSJ and in the
following self extracting zip file:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/DEVELOPR/MSJ/MSJFEB97.EXE

The GUI version, named Dependency Walker, shipped in the Win32 SDK, NT 4.0
Resource Kit, MSDN, and is available somewhere from the Microsoft web site
(although I can't seem to find it right now). I have also made it available
from my personal site at:

http://pobox.com/~stevemil/apps.html

My site contains the complete version of Dependency Walker 1.0 (including
help files) for x86, Alpha, and MIPS.

One thing to remember is that both Matt's tool and Dependency Walker 1.0
will only detect implictly linked dependencies. This means that if your
exe, dll, etc. dynamically loads other modules at runtime, then these
modules will not be detected. The help file for Dependency Walker clearly
spells out what these tools can and cannot do. The next version of
Dependency Walker will detect dynamically loaded modules in addition to
implicitly linked modules, but that won't be complete for several months.

- Steve