Help! Can't install PPT 2002

m montanet

Oct 25, 2002, 8:18:36 PM10/25/02
This should be a no-brainer, but it's not working -

I have an HP Pavilion 951 running Windows XP. Office XP
(Word, Excel, Publisher) is already installed. I purchased
PowerPoint Version 2002 for XP separately, but can't
install it.

When running Setup, after I enter the user information and
the 25-character product key from the back of the CD case,
a window titled "Product Compliance Check" pops up with
the message: "Setup failed to locate a valid qualifying
product on your machine. Please select the drive where a
qualifying product can be found."

I have no idea what a "qualifying product" is. However, I
have repeatedly selected every drive available on my PC,
but each time received the error message: "Error 1608.
Setup was unable to locate a qualifying product." This is
followed by "Installation ended prematurely because of an
error."

Can anyone provide info on: what a qualifying product is?,
what the error is?, and what I need to do to install PPT?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sonia

Oct 25, 2002, 8:37:49 PM10/25/02
You haven't mentioned which version of Office you have, but I'm betting it's
Small Business Edition. In that case, read the following:

I have Office but no PowerPoint
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00280.htm
Can I install standalone PowerPoint along with Small Business Edition?
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00260.htm
--

Sonia Coleman, Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team
http://www.soniacoleman.com

"m montanet" <miss_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

miss_...@yahoo.com

Oct 25, 2002, 9:05:04 PM10/25/02
Thanks for the info. The FAQ explains why I'm having
problems. This is all VERY annoying because I specifically
asked the retailer to install PPT when they installed the
OS and all the other SW packages, which they didn't do.
When I pressed them, they gave me a copy of PPT
for "free." Turns out that what they gave me was the
upgrade to Version 2002, not the full product. Looks like
I have to go back to the retailer and complain again!

>.

Echo S

Oct 25, 2002, 11:18:53 PM10/25/02
Yes, call them or go back and tell them that no matter what it says on
the box, the PPT Upgrade can*NOT* be used to add PPT to Office XP Small
Business Edition.

Good luck!
--
***DO NOT POST ATTACHMENTS TO THIS NEWSGROUP***
Echo [MS PPT MVP]

1...@aol.com

Oct 26, 2002, 9:01:22 PM10/26/02
Did you buy the PPT 2002 upgrade or the full version?