Getting "send to OneNote" back as on option when printing

GRD21

Aug 10, 2008, 2:25:01 PM8/10/08
Until today I have been able to send files from either my Access or Word
programs to ONe Note. When I go to the print menu and hit print, one of the
printer options was always "Send to OneNOte". This options is now gone, and
I want to know how to get it back. OneNote has disappeared from my printer
files. When I go into my Print Server properties, OneNote is listed in the
"Drivers" section, but it is no longer in the "Ports" listing. Can someone
please tell me how to fix this?

Top

Aug 10, 2008, 9:07:00 PM8/10/08
I have this same problem, that option is not in any of my Office 2007
programs.

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Aug 10, 2008, 10:21:41 PM8/10/08
Did you try running Office Diagnostics (Help menu)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"GRD21" <GR...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

GRD21

Aug 11, 2008, 7:31:00 AM8/11/08
Yes, I did and it did not help. I also uninstalled OneNote and then
reinstalled it - downloaded all the updates and it's still missing. I also,
tried the repair option and that didn't help

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Corren

Aug 14, 2008, 11:18:32 AM8/14/08
Printo OneNote
Add Printer - Local - Do not detect.
This worked for me:
Use the following port: Send to Microsoft OneNote port.
Select a printer. I use Fujistsu Breeze 100. It shouldn't make a
difference which printer you use. That just happened to be the one I
chose the first time I did it and so I have used it ever since.
Printer Name: Print to OneNote, of course.
Do not share, do not print a test page.
Finish.
Get properties on the printer and under Advanced click the drop down
and select the Send to Microsoft OneNote driver.
Also Under Advanced select Print Processor and choose the
OneNotePrint2007 and leave as RAW.
Under Ports make sure it's set to the "Send to OneNote" port
Close all property windows and "voila!" you have a new Print to
OneNote

Pasted from
<http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.onenote/browse_thread/
thread/58c3b6f451c79f97/3498b7069519c3b5?hl=en*&lnk=gst&q=patrick
+schmid+onenote+2007+printer+not+found#3498b7069519c3b5>

Alisha

Sep 2, 2008, 8:40:01 PM9/2/08
I have the same problem, and after completeing all of that.. Mine doesn't say
OneNote Print 2007 under Print Processor. I just left it the way it was, but
when I try to print anything to onenote it says "OneNote cannot find the file
you specified." and it just inserts a blank page. What do I do now?

mitchell1297

Sep 3, 2008, 2:44:01 PM9/3/08
Hi Alisha,

I've found that when I get the "OneNote cannot find the file you specified."
error, I can then do a repair of OneNote and get it to work again.

For everyone else, I have a couple of hundred Dell Notebooks here that are
losing the OneNote printer on a regular basis. I can't identify one single
event that is causing them to lose the OneNote printer. I have found that I
can blow away all of the printers and do a repair of OneNote and the OneNote
printer will reappear. However, it may stay for a day or two or for a week or
two and then it's gone again. Today, all I had to do was delete the XPS
Document Writer and OneNote Print To started working again. I have also had a
few machines where manually creating a new OneNote printer worked. We use
Pharos Uniprint here and sometimes I can uninstall Pharos and then repair
OneNote to get the OneNote printer back. That still doesn't mean it will be
there tomorrow. We are having this problem with Windows Vista 32-bit Dell
Latitude XT notebooks and HP 32-bit notebooks running XP SP2. We are not
having any problems on our desktop machines but we haven't really tested them
thoroughly since OneNote is not used extensively in our labs. I would really
like a difinitive answer from Microsoft as to why the OneNote printer keeps
getting corrupted and disappearing.

Alisha

Sep 3, 2008, 4:04:02 PM9/3/08

Alisha

Sep 3, 2008, 4:07:01 PM9/3/08
Yeah, I actually just took mine to the Help Desk at my school. We are all
required to have the same lap top for class and he said this has happend to
like 50 students. He said sometimes if windows updates it causes the Print to
OneNote option to disappear. It's kind of frustrating. Once I added it last
night and got the error message, the Print to OneNote soon disappeared once
more. So, hopefully this time it will stay. We'll see!

Rainald Taesler

Sep 3, 2008, 5:04:07 PM9/3/08
mitchell1297 wrote:

[...]
A true horror story!

> I would really like a definitive answer from Microsoft as to why the

> OneNote printer keeps getting corrupted and disappearing.

To reach the developers pls post a bug report the place for submitting
suggestions and bug reports to the developers team:
http://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/

Most probably this topic has been raised multiple times as it's one of
the main zones of troubles.
Your posting, however, is that precise, that it would be well worth
putting it it an the agenda through the proper channel.

Rainald

pnthrrse2

Sep 11, 2008, 1:28:03 PM9/11/08
I also have a laptop for scholl that I just bought about six months ago. It
has Vista 32-bit on it. Everytime that Vista does an update I loss the option
to print to One Note. Yes it does keep getting very frustrating and today I
lost it once again. Only this time nothing is working and I can't get it
back. I hope that they fix this problem soon!

Ilya Koulchin

Sep 11, 2008, 5:34:54 PM9/11/08
pnthrrse2 wrote:
> I also have a laptop for scholl that I just bought about six months ago. It
> has Vista 32-bit on it. Everytime that Vista does an update I loss the option
> to print to One Note.

Could you tell me a bit more about your system configuration? Specifically:
Are you logging on to your computer as a standard user or as an admin?
Is the computer part of a domain administered by an IT deparment, or is
it a home computer?
Do you have any other printers installed? If so, which one is the default?
Is there anything else unusual about your computer's configuration?

Ilya

nri...@shaw.ca

Sep 12, 2008, 3:27:40 AM9/12/08
Apparently the Office SP1 service pack is causing office to lose the
OneNote printer, but there doesn't seem to be a fix for it yet, and
you can't uninstall/remove SP1 once it has been installed?

Not sure what the deal is, but thought I'd share what I've
discovered. Very upset... favorite function of OneNote and now its
gone!

On Sep 3, 2:44 pm, mitchell1297

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Sep 12, 2008, 3:41:47 AM9/12/08
I don't think that can be the cause - I have Office 2007 SP1 installed
on my machines and I still have the ability to print (well, on the
32-bit machine I do) to OneNote.

Did you try running Detect & Repair? (Help menu)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q

"nri...@shaw.ca" <nri...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Rainald Taesler

Sep 12, 2008, 11:18:12 AM9/12/08
nri...@shaw.ca wrote:

> Apparently the Office SP1 service pack is causing office to lose the
> OneNote printer, but there doesn't seem to be a fix for it yet, and
> you can't uninstall/remove SP1 once it has been installed?
>
> Not sure what the deal is, but thought I'd share what I've
> discovered. Very upset... favorite function of OneNote and now its
> gone!

I can not confirm this.

I installed the ON SP1 as soon as it arrived. And I have all Office and
Windows Vista updates installed on 3 machines.
No problems with the printer.

Rainald

sethvold

Sep 24, 2008, 2:21:09 PM9/24/08
Thanks for this method!! Worked like a charm. Make sure that you hit
"Apply" at every step under the Advanced tab or your changes won't take
effect like you think they did. Found that out the hard way.

Rainald Taesler

Sep 24, 2008, 5:21:48 PM9/24/08
Thanks for your success report.
It's really good to know how some could solve the problem.

Rainald

mitchell

Sep 25, 2008, 9:23:00 AM9/25/08

You are correct in thinking that Office SP1 can cause your OneNote
printer to disappear. Also Microsoft Office update KB950130 which is
an update to OneNote 2007 can also cause the printer to disappear.
However, it is not as straightforward as it appears. Some printer
drivers from other manufacturers appear to be involved in the process.
I have had the problem with some HP printers and some Canon printers.
Also the Pharos printing system can be a problem. If you have one of
these printers installed, and then Office 2007 SP1 or KB950130 is
installed, it may break your OneNote printer. It appears to be a
problem where a shared file is overwritten causing the Send To
Microsoft OneNote Port to disappear which causes the printer to
disappear. I don't understand the dynamics of why the other printers
are involved in the process, but I have been able to reproduce the
problem and when I remove the offending printer, the Microsoft updates
do not cause the OneNote printer to disappear.

Possible fix: Remove all of your printers. Reinstall OneNote. Download
and install Microsoft Updates for SP1 and KB950130. Check to see if
the OneNote printer is still around. Reinstall your other printers.
Typically, on new computers with XP SP3 or Vista on them, Microsoft
Update is turned on by default. This is different from the older
Windows Update. Microsoft Update includes all updates for the
operating system and all other Microsoft product you have installed on
your machine. If you leave Microsoft Update on automatic, it will
continue to download updates that may break your OneNote printer.
(Microsoft is renown for releasing updates that are bad and then
fixing them and re-releasing them under another KB number.) After you
have done the above, turn off Microsoft Updates but you can leave
Windows update active and automatic. With Vista, this is done by doing
a search for Windows Update from the Start Menu, then selecting change
options. At the bottom of the options page, you can choose to turn
off Microsoft update but leave Windows Update in tact. In XP, you must
start a manual update and let it scan for available updates. After it
finds them, on the left side of the screen there is a link that allows
you to change settings. Click on it and turn off Microsoft Updates. At
this point, you can do manual updates of other Microsoft products.

One thing to remember is that every time you use your original cd or
dvd to repair OneNote, it breaks the Microsoft Updates that have
already been installed and the next time it goes out to Microsoft
updates for autoupdating, it downloads and installs the same files
that broke your OneNote printer in the first place. That is why I
suggest turning off automatic updates for Office.

The above has worked for me in almost every case. One or two
exceptions out of about a hundred fixes.

If you have Office updates turned off already, you many be able to
just reinstall the OneNote printer if all of the elements are
available. The names of the port and printer and Print Processor must
match the names specified in the registry under My Computer\HKLM
\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\. If your
printer doesn't have a folder in this Key, then you will have to
reinstall OneNote.

Hope this helps someone.

Mauria Ganther

Apr 30, 2011, 12:49:06 PM4/30/11
The "One Note" options does not appear in my print options window. How do I gain access to it?

>> On Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:07 PM To wrote:

>> I have this same problem, that option is not in any of my Office 2007
>> programs.
>>
>> "GRD21" wrote:

>>> On Sunday, August 10, 2008 10:21 PM Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) wrote:

>>> Did you try running Office Diagnostics (Help menu)

>>> --
>>> -Ben-
>>> Ben M. Schorr, MVP
>>> Roland Schorr & Tower
>>> http://www.rolandschorr.com
>>> http://www.officeforlawyers.com
>>> Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q
>>>

>>> "GRD21" <GR...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> news:EB122393-9177-4861...@microsoft.com:

bobbyre...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 6:25:25 PM3/23/14
You may try Microsoft recommended tool OneNote Repair Toolbox recovers corrupted *.one files in Microsoft OneNote and saves repaired data to disk as separate files. Third party version is available at http://www.onenote.repairtoolbox.com/

ran...@gmail.com