Event Log MSIInstaller Event ID 1001, 1004, 1015

Hendrick Tran

Mar 5, 2003, 8:46:25 PM3/5/03
After I install Office XP Professional and run all
available updates, I receive numerous "Warning" Event Log
messages with the Source "MSIInstaller." Here are some
examples:

1015 - Failed to connect to server. Error 0x80004001

1004 - Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-
0050048383C9}', feature 'ProductFiles',
component '{66CD2C91-2A15-4DA4-BBD2-5EC1075F3C0E}'
failed. The resource 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip\' does not
exist.

1001 - Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-
0050048383C9}', feature 'WORDFiles' failed during request
for component '{8E46FEFA-D973-6294-B305-E968CEDFFCB9}'

I have run an Office 2000 to XP upgrade, installed Office
XP from scratch and still the errors occur as soon as a
user with non-local-admin privelages launches any Office
program. If anyone can assist me with this, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Hendrick

Rita Xie [MS]

Mar 6, 2003, 7:27:51 AM3/6/03
Dear Hendrick,

Thank you for your post.

Based on my understanding of the problem, when users with limited
priviliges launch OffXP apps, a number of Installer related events appear
in the app event logs:

Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1001
Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature
'WORDFILES' failed during request for component
'{8E46FEFA-D973-6294-B305-E968CEDFFCB9}'

Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1004
Computer: SDCTCT017
Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature

'ProductFiles', component '{66CD2C91-2A15-4DA4-BBD2-5EC1075F3C0E}' failed.
The resource 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip\' does not exist.

Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1015

Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80004001

According to my experience, the issue seems to be one of the following or
combination of the following, permissions, dcom settings, or windows
installer. Please log in the computer as local admin and perform the steps
below:

1.) This following steps should fix your "Failed to Connect Server" message
in the application event log file:

a.) go to the actual terminal server console
b.) go to start\run command line and key in the following:
msiexec /unreg
click OK
c.) go to start\run command line and key in the following:
msiexec /regserver
click OK

2.) The following steps are to fix the 1004

The resource 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip\' does not exist.

a.) go to the actual terminal server console
b.) go to start\run command line and key in the following:
regedt32
c.) check the permissions to the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer
System and Admins - Full Control
Everyone- Read

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Compo
nents
System and Admins - Full Control
Everyone- Read

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
System and Admins - Full Control
Everyone- Read

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip
System and Admins - Full Control
Everyone- Read

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer
System and Admins - Full Control
Everyone- Read

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components
System and Admins - Full Control
Everyone- Read

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes
System and Admins - Full Control
Everyone- Read

d.) If you had to change any of the above registry key permissions, empty
the application event log file and then launch an Office application and
see if you still get 1004 and "Failed to Connect" messages in there.

3.) If you are still getting 1004 messages, I need you to do the following:

a.) Go to Windows Explorer and locate C:\Documents and Settings\<user's
profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows for each user.
Delete the UsrClass.dat and UsrClass.dot.log

b.) then logged on as that user that you just removed those files and see
if you still get 1004 messages in the application event log file

c.) If you have these files then you also want to delete them out of the
Default User's profile as well.

Please let me know the result of the suggested steps above. I am looking
forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Rita Xie

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hendrick

Mar 6, 2003, 1:46:22 PM3/6/03
Rita,
Thank you very much for your assistance. Your solution
worked. I had to go as far as to delete the UsrClass files
in the Default profile before it worked. But ever since
then I've tried three users and the Event Log is CLEAN!
Your solution should definitely be posted in the MS-KB!!!
Thanks again!
Hendrick

>.

Rita Xie [MS]

Mar 6, 2003, 8:51:42 PM3/6/03
Hi Hendrick,

Thank you for your reply.

I am so glad to hear that the issue is resolved. I will post the resolution
to Microsoft Internal database. Hopefully we can add it to KB after
complete test and validation.

Thank you again for your post.