Error 23012 on Entourage X 10.1.4 trying to connect to Exchange 2000

Russel DesJardins

Aug 22, 2003, 3:59:28 PM8/22/03
Ok, I appologize if this has been answered already but after spending
3 hours reading these post I haven't been able to find it.

I have a mixed environment:

1 Windows 2000 server running Exchange 2000 (1 domain)
12 PCs runnig Windows XP
7 Macs running OS X 10.2.5 with Office X 10.1.4

Prior to today I had 4 Macs running Entourage through IMAP prior to
the 10.1.4/Exchange patch. The other three were using Outlook 2001.
I fully updated the Office X to 10.1.4 on the 4 machines on Entourage
and everything set up easily to utilize the Exchange features.

The three remaining machines (the ones on Outlook 2001) had to wait
until today when I received in the new Office X software. I installed
the new software and upgraded each one to 10.1.4 and installed the
Palm-sync patch.

Following the same process and comparing it to the many posted on this
site for configuring the exchange account, I am unable to get any of
the 3 new ones to connect to the server.

I receive the following error....

"An error occurred on the IMAP server."

"A connection failure has occurred."

"Error: -23012"

I am completely confused as to why I have 4 properly functioning Mac's
running the fully updated version of Office X and Entourage X but I am
unable to get the three new ones to connect. I have verified all of
my settings within System Preferences/Network and Entourage. Nothing
seems to make a difference.

From having 4 up and running, I am assuming that all the necessary
settings and services are running on the server. I have verified the
usernames, passwords, IP addresses, domain name, and everything else
that I am able to think of.

Any thoughts at all would be outstanding.

My thanks,

Russel DesJardins

Diane Ross

Aug 24, 2003, 3:50:26 PM8/24/03
On 8/22/03 12:59 PM, in article
8bfbd2fc.03082...@posting.google.com, "Russel DesJardins"
<rus...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok, I appologize if this has been answered already but after spending
> 3 hours reading these post I haven't been able to find it.

Check out the Exchange Support page for help and tips on setting up.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/exchange_server.html>

--
Diane Ross
MVP Entourage (MVPs are volunteers)

Russel DesJardins

Aug 25, 2003, 11:58:19 AM8/25/03
Diane Ross <dr...@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<BB6E6512.5C1B1%dr...@mvps.org>...

> On 8/22/03 12:59 PM, in article
> 8bfbd2fc.03082...@posting.google.com, "Russel DesJardins"
> <rus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I appologize if this has been answered already but after spending
> > 3 hours reading these post I haven't been able to find it.
>
> Check out the Exchange Support page for help and tips on setting up.
>
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/exchange_server.html>

Diane-

Thanks for the response, but I am still not able to find any incorrect
settings or unstarted services on the Exchange server as I mentioned
in my original post. I have 4 actively running machines and 3 that
fail to connect.

I need more help.

Thanks,

Gil Gordon

Aug 25, 2003, 12:34:00 PM8/25/03
That sounds very strange. Given that you have it working on some of your
Macs for some of your users it doesn't sound like there is anything in your
general setup that would stop this from working. So that leaves us with
either something miss-configured on the client end or on the server end for
the users.

On the server end you can try comparing the settings of a good user and a
bad user in Active Directory (you can bring up the account dialogs for both,
and compare the items in all 15 tabs...)

On the client side you can do the same in Entourage. It might also be worth
looking in the System network preferences to make sure nothing is different
there.

You can also create new identities in Entourage on the various machines
which will allow you to try to configure one of the failing users on a
machine that was working, and the other way around too. That may help figure
out if it is a client side or server side problem.

On 8/22/03 12:59 PM, in article
8bfbd2fc.03082...@posting.google.com, "Russel DesJardins"

Russel DesJardins

Aug 27, 2003, 11:31:12 AM8/27/03
Gil-

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is where I am at now.

Computer A with account A works fine using Entourage-Exchange.

Computer B with account B fails to connect to the Exchange server.

Account B on Computer A works fine using Entourage-Exchange.

Account A on Computer B fails to connect to the Exchange server.

So, as expected, the Accounts on the Exchange server and in Entourage
appear to be set up properly as they work on the same machine. So
from this it would appear that the client machine (computer B) is not
set up properly for this to work.

When I set up the new Identities on each machine, I made sure to set
everything up the same within Entourage. The only thing I can assume
from this is that there is some difference in the network settings or
communication between the client computer and the Exchange server.

Not having a strong background in Macs, I have not been able to
determine the problem. I verified that all of the settings in System
Preferences/Network are the same between a working and not working
machine. I am not sure where to go to next.

Any and all thoughts would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Russel DesJardins

Gil Gordon

Aug 27, 2003, 2:32:10 PM8/27/03
Thanks for the the thorough and clear report. Yes, it sounds like computer B
is unhappy in some mysterious way.

I'm not sure where to go next. You can double check proxy settings in
Entourage's Mail & News Preference panel. You can try capturing TCPflow logs
from both machines and comparing them. You can try creating new OS users on
machine B. If this gets you nowhere you can try physically plugging machine
B into machine A's network cable...

Good luck,
Gil

On 8/27/03 8:31 AM, in article