Erro 3176

captai...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2007, 1:06:02 PM10/8/07
I am having a problem using Entourage on my Imac. I am downloading all
of my Inbox perfectly and without a problem. However, when I try to
send I get

Error 3176

Entourage cannot find the server. Verify the server information is
entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings
in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.

I use Comcast highspeed Cable network, but they said recently that I
have to upgrade my modem. Could this be a problem?

I have used all the online forums to change the settings in Entourage
and they should be correct. I have checked and rechecked my Gmail
settings to allow forwarding as well. I am at a loss as to how to make
this error go away. I have tried using a network cable instead of the
wireless net as well and still no avail. PLEASE HELP!!!

Diane

Oct 9, 2007, 10:44:21 PM10/9/07
On 10/8/07 10:06 AM, in article
1191863162.3...@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com,
"captai...@gmail.com" <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having a problem using Entourage on my Imac. I am downloading all
> of my Inbox perfectly and without a problem. However, when I try to
> send I get
>
> Error 3176
>
> Entourage cannot find the server. Verify the server information is
> entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings
> in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.

Did you check your Network System Preferences?

> I use Comcast highspeed Cable network, but they said recently that I
> have to upgrade my modem. Could this be a problem?

Yes, but this is the first report we've had about a user having to upgrade
equipment. There have been a lot of security upgrades to servers these past
few months and it's caused all sorts of problems for users getting their
setting correct.

> I have used all the online forums to change the settings in Entourage
> and they should be correct. I have checked and rechecked my Gmail
> settings to allow forwarding as well. I am at a loss as to how to make
> this error go away. I have tried using a network cable instead of the
> wireless net as well and still no avail. PLEASE HELP!!!

Send & Receive problems are the hardest to solve since each user has
specific variables that contribute to the problem. ISP support is generally
vague leaving it up to the user to solve their problem on their own.

Basics:

1. If you can receive but not send then you have a bad SMTP configuration
2. If you can send but not receive you have a bad POP or IMAP configuration

You can try re-entering info.
You can delete account and create a new one.
Using copy/paste can result in an extra space being added. Type carefully.
Check your Keychain for corruption.

Testing your network might give you specific answers to what is failing.
See directions here for using tcpflow:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/tcpflow.html>

Another application I ran into recently that does the same thing but has a
different interface.

EavesDrop....Let it capture some stuff then double-click any of the lines of
text in the main window to see more detail.

<http://www.baurhome.net/software/eavesdrop/index.html>

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>