Active Sync connection error INTERNET_55

Yan Esteve Balducci [MSFT]

Aug 8, 2003, 10:01:35 PM8/8/03
Internet_55 corresponds to ERROR_INTERNET_SEC_CERT_ERRORS which means that
the SSL certificate that you are using contains errors
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wininet/wi
ninet/wininet_errors.asp)

This error is most likely due to the SSL certificate that you are using. It
sounds like the device isn't trusting the root cert authority for the cert
that you installed on it. Try adding the cert of the root that issued your
*.pfx

--
Yan Esteve Balducci
Software Design Engineer/Test

"Tim Watts" <tim....@cybernet-images.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Anyone have any idea as to why I am getting this error?
> INTERNET_55 when trying to sync the pda with an exchange 2003 server?
> =======================
> Path is fully.qualifieddomainname.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync (with
ssl
> selected)
>
> account logon is in the form of the email address
> tes...@qualifieddomainname.com
> password is ***********
>
> domain is qualifieddomainname
> =======================
>
> I have it set up to sync locally for inbox etc, but remotely to an exch2k3
> server with mobile support enabled. It connects through ssl. I have not
been
> able to install the certificate on the pda, so am not sure if this is the
> problem. (It is an internal certificate *.pfx)
>
> PDA is a Toshiba PocketPC2003 e350, connecting to a Exchange 2003 server,
> with all of the mobile options enabled.
>
> Active Sync works fine with the local Outlook, but I want to sync the
> calendar with a different OWA account. I have logged in many times with
the
> testing account, so permissions are correct for the testing account for
OWA
> access to the server, and to create test appointments etc. Just can't seem
> to get the Calendar to sync down to the device.
>
> As well, I want to make sure that the calendar syncs down to the pda, and
> that appointments on the pda do not go up to the server.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

Tim Watts

Aug 9, 2003, 1:00:23 AM8/9/03
How do I install "any" certificate on the pda?

I tried to launch the .pfx file on the pda, but it told me it was a bad
file.

It installs just fine on any other workstation.

Tim

"Yan Esteve Balducci [MSFT]" <jua...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Karan

Aug 9, 2003, 3:19:06 AM8/9/03
Take a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322956 for the
addrootcert.exe powertoy that allows you to add your internal root CA cert
as a trusted root cert on the PDA> I've tried this, but I keep getting
HTTP_500 errors :-(
OMA works, OWA works ... but I can't get SAS to work. The logs show the PDA
hitting IIS and authenticating, but all I get is 500 as a response. I can't
seem to find any event log errors and there is no additional logging I can
turn on.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Karan Mavai

"Tim Watts" <tim....@cybernet-images.com.nospam> wrote in message

Yan Esteve Balducci [MSFT]

Aug 11, 2003, 8:50:54 PM8/11/03
Please look at the IIS logs of your front end server and your back end
server. Try to match the requests by their time. If your front end server
issues a 500, it's becasue the back end server responded with something
other then 200 (OK).

Make sure that your back end /exchange v-dir has Integrated Auth enabled
(Front end needs Basic Auth.) Make sure that you do NOT have SSL enabled on
the back end /Exchange directory. Those are the most likely culprits...
only your IIS logs can lead to better troubleshooting.

--
Yan Esteve Balducci
Software Test Engineer

"Karan" <karan_m....@hotmail.dot.com> wrote in message

Tim Watts

Aug 12, 2003, 1:22:17 PM8/12/03
I installed the .cer on the pda (exported the certificate from the root
server as the readme in the rootcert tool for PowerToys Mobile recommends).
It installed fine, powered off and powered on the device to make sure that
it is now using the cert.

Still the same error message.
INTERNET_55

Any other ideas?

Tim

"Yan Esteve Balducci [MSFT]" <jua...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Karan

Aug 13, 2003, 4:49:52 AM8/13/03
Yan,

Thanks for the reply. I have a single server setup, no FE/BE. I have setup
a new /Exchange virtual directory for OMA and SAS because forms based SSL
auth is enabled on my default /Exchange virtual directory. I followed KB
822177/817379 to add a new Exchange v-dir for OMA and SAS to use. My
mistake was that in creating the new Exchange v-dir for OMA and SAS, I
marked it with Basic authentication. This worked for OMA, but was failing
for SAS and I never put 2+2 together. Once, I changed the setting as per
your reply to Integrated SAS started working now.

Thanks!
Karan Mavai

"Yan Esteve Balducci [MSFT]" <jua...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tim Watts

Aug 19, 2003, 3:11:59 PM8/19/03
Ok, ....

So I installed the cert from the internal cert authority, and it still gives
me the INTERNET_55 error.

Here is the scenario for my testing environment:

(Mail Server) win2k server, with exch2k3 server, running as domain
controller/ cert root server.
(PDA) Toshiba e350, running PockectPC 2003

On the mail server, I Installed cert services, selected one of the three
certs it creates from the enterprise root trust folder, exported as .cer
certificate for importing into the pda.
On the mail server I created a certificate with a different alias (owa) to
use for secured sessions into owa access. I.e.
https://owa.domain.com/exchange

On the pda, I installed the .cer certificate from the domain controller's
root trust store.

When I try to sync the device using exch2k3's
owa.domain.com/Microsoft-Active-Sync
for the connection string, along with the required usrename / password and
domain I continue to get the same error message.

INTERNET_55

Since I only have SSL enabled to this machine through the firewall, I cannot
try it without the ssl checked on the ActiveSync connection page to
determine if there is still something I am missing with the ssl cert
installation on the pda.

Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks,

Tim