Discussion thread for Specification Push vs Pull Vote

John Clingan

Mar 10, 2020, 5:27:32 PM3/10/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Please do NOT comment AT ALL on the voting thread. Place voting process questions or voting text comments here.

Thanks.
Message has been deleted

Emily Jiang

Mar 10, 2020, 6:31:39 PM3/10/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi John,

There are 56 committers, but the spreadsheet you created has 51. There are 5 missing from the list including myself. Can you please double check?

Emily

John Clingan

Mar 10, 2020, 10:03:53 PM3/10/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
This was brought up on thee call and I found the missing entries. Thanks for pointing it out. Always open to another once-over!

Thanks.

Mark Little

Mar 11, 2020, 6:39:24 AM3/11/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Oops ;)

On 10 Mar 2020, at 21:27, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:

Please do NOT comment AT ALL on the voting thread. Place voting process questions or text comments here.

Thanks.

---
Mark Little
mli...@redhat.com

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873
Directors:Michael Cunningham (USA), Vicky Wiseman (USA), Michael O'Neill, Keith Phelan, Matt Parson (USA)

Michael Edgar

Mar 11, 2020, 7:47:52 PM3/11/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
My name is misspelled in the spreadsheet. Will that impact my vote?

John Clingan

Mar 11, 2020, 8:39:43 PM3/11/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
No, LOL. I fixed it. The spreadsheet has caused me more grief .... :-)

Thanks for the heads up.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:39 AM Mark Little <mli...@redhat.com> wrote:
Oops ;)

On 10 Mar 2020, at 21:27, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:

Please do NOT comment AT ALL on the voting thread. Place voting process questions or text comments here.

Thanks.

---
Mark Little
mli...@redhat.com

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873
Directors:Michael Cunningham (USA), Vicky Wiseman (USA), Michael O'Neill, Keith Phelan, Matt Parson (USA)

Bruno Borges

John Clingan

Mar 12, 2020, 6:47:11 PM3/12/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
You are a troublemaker, LOL.

Technically, if MicroProfile becomes a working group, it will no longer require the Eclipse prefix (eg There is no "Eclipse Jakarta EE"). It will just be MicroProfile :-)

So the trademark search, which I am assuming you will donate to, would be "MicroSpecs" :-)

Amelia Eiras

Mar 12, 2020, 6:49:19 PM3/12/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I am actually pretty excited to see the naming evolution of Eclipse MicroProfile into just MicroProfile!

Pretty exciting times ahead :)

Alasdair Nottingham

Mar 16, 2020, 9:30:26 AM3/16/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
So I wasn't on the call where this was discussed and since I abstained I wanted to explain why since it wasn't because I wasn't on the call.

As far as I can tell irrespective of whether a push or pull approach were adopted a pull model could always be used by other spec orgs.

In the context of Jakarta EE given the high level of people who are engaged in both MicroProfile and Jakarta EE if an MP item were to be pulled into Jakarta EE I would expect it would be done with the involvement of at least a subset of the people working on MicroProfile which makes the push vs pull distinction rather arbitrary. Likewise once it gets pulled I suspect a desire to continue development of the standard in both places will naturally wain.

Since I don't really see there being any practical difference between the two models I've abstained since there isn't a neither option.

Alasdair

John Clingan

Mar 16, 2020, 10:50:51 AM3/16/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Just a note for the record - there are Live Hangout meeting minutes and the calls are recorded.

John Clingan

Mar 16, 2020, 12:52:22 PM3/16/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
This is a friendly reminder to vote on the push vs pull thread. Voting ends at the start of the Live Hangout tomorrow, leaving roughly 25 hours to go.

Ondro Mihályi

Mar 17, 2020, 7:02:08 AM3/17/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I very much agree with Alasdair here. The distinction between pull and push is not very big. However, the pull statement is much easier to understand and follow in the future, therefore I voted for pull. I believe that MicroProfile will be able to progress on its own to create a good starting point for Jakarta EE specs and later MicroProfile will adopt some more Jakarta EE specs.

Ondro

Steve Millidge

Mar 17, 2020, 8:26:40 AM3/17/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Voted abstain as the arguments have been reduced to a single useful option artificially

Laird Nelson

Mar 17, 2020, 11:52:10 AM3/17/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Oracle's statement:

Oracle would prefer that the MicroProfile effort align more closely with the work that is being undertaken in Jakarta EE. We see tremendous alignment and opportunity in these technologies operating collectively and seamlessly together. To the extent that these efforts can be more closely coordinated, we think that is a positive outcome for both the development and the user communities.

We would prefer that these two organizations continue to evolve their processes toward a common goal in an effort to provide as much community leverage and acceptance as possible. Otherwise, we foresee challenges ahead as dependency relationships force projects to be cleaved off as divergent forks that would require multiple, disparate maintenance efforts. This would be a challenge to our precious development community resources as well as compatibility challenges to our users.

With this in mind, we are casting our vote for the Push model so that we can work to make this process work for both efforts.