0C45:627B: Better, But Still Problems

Leo Schwab

Nov 13, 2008, 3:41:53 PM11/13/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Very quickly, since I'm at work:

I pointed my git workspace at the development branch, did a
git-pull, and built it. It finally recognized the camera:

---
Nov 13 12:27:41 walkies kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 webcam driver loaded
Nov 13 12:27:41 walkies kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam -
0C45:627B plugged-in.
Nov 13 12:27:41 walkies kernel: microdia: Detected SN9C20X Bridge
Nov 13 12:27:41 walkies kernel: microdia: Detected sensor: OV7660
Nov 13 12:27:41 walkies kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam is
now controlling video device /dev/video0
Nov 13 12:27:41 walkies kernel: usbcore: registered new interface
driver usb_microdia_driver
Nov 13 12:27:41 walkies kernel: microdia: v2008.10 : Microdia USB 2.0
Webcam Driver
----

However, when I try testing it with mplayer, I get a rash of errors,
and the program quits:

----
$ mplayer tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:fps=25:device=/dev/video0 -vo x11
-nojoystick
MPlayer dev-SVN-r26940
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6,
Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing tv://.
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l2
name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
author: Martin Olschewski <olsch...@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
comment: first try, more to come ;-)
Selected device: Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam Driver
Capabilites: video capture read/write streaming
supported norms:
inputs: 0 = Webcam;v4l2: ioctl get input failed: Invalid argument

Current input: 1
Current format: unknown (0x31384142)
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
tv.c: norm_from_string(pal): Bogus norm parameter, setting default.
v4l2: ioctl enum norm failed: Invalid argument
Error: Cannot set norm!
Selected input hasn't got a tuner!
v4l2: Cannot get fps
v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl query control failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl query control failed: Invalid argument
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31384142.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.

Exiting... (End of file)
----

The kernel logs during the attempt are as follows:

----
Nov 13 12:27:54 walkies kernel: microdia: Freeing 0 v4l2 buffers
Nov 13 12:27:54 walkies kernel: microdia: Buffers Allocated 2
Nov 13 12:27:54 walkies kernel: microdia: Freeing 2 v4l2 buffers
----

Suggestions?

Schwab

GWater

Nov 13, 2008, 3:43:13 PM11/13/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Check out libv4l. (README can help.)

GWater

Leo Schwab schrieb:

signature.asc

Leo Schwab

Nov 13, 2008, 3:52:04 PM11/13/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:43, GWater <grew...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Check out libv4l. (README can help.)

Forgive me, but 'mplayer' does not appear to have a dependency on
any version of libv4l (I'm running Debian 'unstable'). What should I be
looking at/for?

Schwab

GWater

Nov 13, 2008, 4:03:19 PM11/13/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
There is a link with an explanation in the README under "1.3 Decoder".

To answer your question - you need to look for libv4l.

GWater

(PS: I am sorry for not answering directly - but in a way I update that
README for a reason and I need to see if people can use it.)

Leo Schwab schrieb:

signature.asc

Leo Schwab

Nov 13, 2008, 4:05:55 PM11/13/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
RTFM: Sagacity for The Ages

I read the README file for the microdia sources in more detail. I
installed libv4l-0 (0.5.3-1), then read *its* README file.

Executive Summary: Do this:

$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so mplayer tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:fps=25:device=/dev/video0 -vo xv
-nojoystick

This is some seriously ugly hackage, but at least now I have an
image. I'll be playing with the paramater adjuster thing next.

Thanks,
Schwab

GWater

Nov 13, 2008, 4:07:20 PM11/13/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Great - thanks,
now I know I can do this torture to everyone :).

GWater

Leo Schwab schrieb:

signature.asc

Leo Schwab

Nov 13, 2008, 4:09:21 PM11/13/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 13:03, GWater <grew...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> There is a link with an explanation in the README under "1.3 Decoder".
>
> To answer your question - you need to look for libv4l.
>
> GWater
>
> (PS: I am sorry for not answering directly - but in a way I update that
> README for a reason and I need to see if people can use it.)

Let me see if I can improve the verbiage in the README for you...

Schwab

Leo Schwab

Nov 14, 2008, 4:35:37 AM11/14/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 13:09, Leo Schwab <bols....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me see if I can improve the verbiage in the README for you...

Here's some *very* quick bashing about in the README, which I think
improves things a bit.

Schwab

README

GWater

Nov 14, 2008, 10:35:54 AM11/14/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,
I changed a few more things that bothered me.

Anyway - most of your stuff is still in there. Please take a look at it
and tell me if it's ok.

(BTW thanks for the grammar fixes. Tenses got a bit ugly I admit.)

And hey - data loss? What do you think we do here? ;)

GWater

Leo Schwab schrieb:

signature.asc
0001-Update-README.patch

Leo Schwab

Nov 15, 2008, 9:05:46 PM11/15/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 07:35, GWater <grew...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Anyway - most of your stuff is still in there. Please take a look at it and
> tell me if it's ok.

As we say at work: "Looks good."

Schwab

GWater