Using meteor with Phonegap

Paul Nispel

Oct 20, 2012, 3:24:47 AM10/20/12
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody know if this is possible? Or using meteor with say.. a website hosted on an apache server. Basically just connecting to meteor for its data and reactivity.

Micha Roon

Jan 2, 2013, 3:12:07 PM1/2/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com, nis...@yahoo.com
This would make no sense. Meteor is based on a tight integration between server and client. You would have to rewrite the whole server part of the Meteor project for this to work. The switch to node.js would be much less painful

Lander van Breda

Jan 2, 2013, 7:28:52 PM1/2/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
Rewriting of the server part isn't needed to accomplish this.

I haven't used meteor in combination with phonegap but I think it will be possible using these things. Connecting to a Meteor server for its data happens via the DDP protocol. This protocol is something the developers put together to have a predetermined way of using the pub-sub system.This will grant you and easy way to get a call from the server whenever your data updates , it doesn't handle the part of a clientside database (minimongo which could possibly be integrated when extracted from meteor) .

You can see a talk about DDP here : http://2012.realtimeconf.com/video/matt-debergalis . You can find a example of a ddp client on the meteor github and also here : https://github.com/search?q=ddp+meteor&ref=commandbar for various languages.

Ben Berman

Jan 2, 2013, 9:59:17 PM1/2/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com, nis...@yahoo.com
Naturally you can use an Internet-only web app using a redirect. Check out my JQueryMobile-powered site for an example of something phone-esque.

In order to get your app approved by Apple, take care to provide some kind of default interface (prior to the redirect) that tells the user to connect to the Internet. That's it!

Of course, if you mean running nodejs (perhaps with browserify), that's a whole different and complicated story...

Ali Camarata

Jan 24, 2013, 5:56:32 AM1/24/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
So does anyone know if you can deploy a meteor app to somesite.com and then also bundle it via phonegap so the phoneapp will commnicate with the site?

Jonathan Perl

Jan 24, 2013, 2:00:21 PM1/24/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
That would be a cool feature. I just requested the ability to publish meteor apps on icenium http://www.icenium.com/community/forums/feedback-and-suggestions-/meteor-support

Jonathan Perl

Jan 25, 2013, 12:02:52 PM1/25/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to start playing around with building an Android meteor boilerplate using the websockets plugin this weekend.
Message has been deleted

David Jeske

Feb 18, 2013, 2:02:41 AM2/18/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
I don't fully grok the Meteor code yet, but I was thinking about a process something like this..

1) "package" the full Meteor generated client-side JS code (and all dependencies) into a cordova app build.

2) setup the client-minimongo-collection to save to local storage, and allow it to reload from existing state, rather than empty... with some control/exposure of this behavior into the startup process.

3) make the client/server collection sync and other server calls tolerant of long "offline" delays

4) expose some concept of "offline" state to the client code

..depending on the app, 'latency compensation', aka seeing your results immediately (even if offline), and having them stay as long as the server accepts them, may be plenty good enough for offline usage.

..depending on how the collection sync code works, this might be easy or hard to pull off, but logically it seems doable.

Ryan O'Toole

Feb 25, 2013, 6:40:09 PM2/25/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
Thought, I'd share this from another post:

I have not tried it yet. When I looked at Phonegap+Meteor back in October, there were apparently some DDP issues that prevented it from working. Sounds like that has changed since then.

For what it is worth, I think the main benefit of Meteor+Phonegap is to hide the address bar and nav menu, making the app full screen.  With the right headers, vanilla Meteor works incredibly well for mobile web apps. I even dropped JQuery Mobile from my app, since Meteor does most of the difficult stuff that JQuery Mobile does, but like a million times better.

Ryan

alan blount

May 14, 2013, 1:10:06 PM5/14/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
FYI - I just got this MeteorJS + PhoneGap (2.7) app approved by Apple:

https://github.com/zeroasterisk/Presenteract (MeteorJS app)

The following app has been approved and the app status has changed to Ready for Sale:
App Name: Presenteract
App Version Number: 1.0
App Type: iOS App
App SKU: Presenteract
App Apple ID:646279445

Morten Henriksen

May 15, 2013, 1:44:57 PM5/15/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thats via remoteUrl and Abigails package?

alan blount

May 15, 2013, 3:23:05 PM5/15/13
to meteor-talk
I'm not using Abigails package currently (it was PG 2.4 only) but my approach is quite similar, though less formalized. (source on github)

Yes, using the PhoneGap loading content via the external url directly, never hitting anything in the phonegap www dir.

Alex Arshavski

Sep 15, 2013, 2:51:29 PM9/15/13
to meteo...@googlegroups.com, al...@zeroasterisk.com
Hi,

Is there a chance you can share some step by step procedure for connecting some ready meteor app with the phonegap?

Thanks, Alex A.
Message has been deleted

Raju Elaboina

May 21, 2014, 7:31:56 AM5/21/14
to meteo...@googlegroups.com, nis...@yahoo.com

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:00:31 PM UTC+5:30, Raju Elaboina wrote:
Hi All

How to integrate  PhoneGap and meteor,  send me any saple or lliks

Raju Elaboina

May 21, 2014, 8:24:40 AM5/21/14
to meteo...@googlegroups.com, nis...@yahoo.com

Hi ,
how to use phonegap and meteor

alan blount

May 21, 2014, 9:43:07 AM5/21/14
to meteo...@googlegroups.com, nis...@yahoo.com

Morten Henriksen

May 21, 2014, 9:47:49 AM5/21/14
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
+packmeteor (this is the one solution that I’ve begun to prefer/use)

Venlig hilsen

Morten N. O. Nørgaard Henriksen
Grøn idé ApS - 30 13 12 41

alan blount

May 21, 2014, 9:51:04 AM5/21/14
to meteor-talk
Darn... I knew I was forgetting something... that is the tool I've been recommending recently, but I have yet to actually use it myself, so I forgot.

Glad it's working for you Morten - I'll check it out as soon as I have another mobile project for it.

Morten Henriksen

Rob Watkin

May 22, 2014, 4:47:14 AM5/22/14
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
I'm just at an early stage of researching using meteor to build mobile apps. Would anyone care to comment on meteor and angular.js or more to the point why no one has mentioned it in this thread?