Windows meteor 0.5.0 with same Linux&Mac install workflow

Vianney Lecroart

Oct 30, 2012, 1:28:22 PM10/30/12
to meteo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here is a new way to install and use meteor 0.5.0 on Windows.

- Open a Windows terminal (cmd.exe) and run:

- Close and open a new Windows terminal (to get new path)
            Now you can run all meteor commands like:

            meteor create my_cool_app
            cd my_cool_app
            meteor
            meteor bundle my_cool_app.tgz
            meteor deploy http://my_cool_app.meteor.com
            meteor logs http://my_cool_app.meteor.com

            Here is some screenshots:

            Feel free to post here bugs & feedback...

            Vianney Lecroart

            Website | Blog | LinkedIn | Facebook | @acemtp (Twitter)

            Tom Wijsman

            Oct 30, 2012, 6:13:43 PM10/30/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Just to let you know, you're missing quite some fixes and the code as it stands won't be merged into Meteor as such pull request has formerly been rejected.
            You're welcome to merge in with my branch, already planned on packing along MSYS in 0.5.1 to solve bundling and deploying from CMD.

            All the features you mention already work on Git Bash so I don't see why you would re-implement them...

            Tom Wijsman

            Oct 30, 2012, 6:27:12 PM10/30/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Windows installer is at:
            http://win.meteor.com/

            GitHub TomWij/meteor:
            https://github.com/TomWij/meteor

            GitHub meteor/meteor Supported Platforms Wiki:
            https://github.com/meteor/meteor/wiki/Supported-Platforms (State of Windows support)

            Rejected pull request:
            https://github.com/meteor/meteor/pull/291

            New pull request to get rid of the workarounds:
            https://github.com/meteor/meteor/pull/303 (Turns the replace() workarounds into platform-aware Node.js supported calls instead)

            I'd think a MSI installer is more preferable as it keeps it simple overall.
            Message has been deleted

            Anurag Bhandari

            Oct 31, 2012, 12:20:31 AM10/31/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Tom, great to know meteor win 0.5.0 has been released. I'll update my installation right away! Btw, any rough scheduled release date for 0.5.1? I so want to get the "meteor bundle" feature working on Windows.

            Anurag Bhandari

            Nov 2, 2012, 4:47:38 AM11/2/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            @Tom: Any update on this?

            Tom Wijsman

            Nov 2, 2012, 6:13:02 AM11/2/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            That depends on when Meteor themselves release, I'll try to follow up on that as fast as possible iff I don't have a busy school schedule at that point.

            Anurag Bhandari

            Nov 2, 2012, 6:15:26 AM11/2/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Thanks for the update. I hope it comes out soon. :)

            Vianney Lecroart

            Nov 8, 2012, 7:34:52 AM11/8/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Hi,

            Tom, I mainly use your Windows port that is really cool work.

            I just created the command line installer because I'm lazy and I prefer to have one command line to install / reinstall and update instead of a Windows installer that you need to uninstall, redownload, reinstall (next next next next), setup path and so on.

            Here is the how to: http://winstall.meteor.com

            It will be cool if you agree to update your page to let people know they have the choice between windows installer or command line installer.

            Regards,

            Vianney

            Tom Wijsman

            Nov 12, 2012, 6:31:05 PM11/12/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            MSI can also be fetched (there are various ways) and installed (msiexec) command line, for both Linux and Windows I think we should have both methods available.

            There are the people that don't care about not following the standards (typically those that misuse C:\ and put folders in there, then later they complain about problems like permissions; or /usr/local/meteor on Linux) and then there are the people that want everything to be tracked by the system so that seeing, changing and removing software can be done from one place (whether the control panel on Windows, or a package manager on Linux that respects the FHS standard).

            I was just thinking that combining our forces would speed up getting us towards been integrated into Meteor itself, instead of ending up re-implementing each others work. You've started out the exact same way, a way which Meteor has sanctioned; whereas I've delayed adding any extra dependencies (like extra MSYS stuff) until it's really necessary too, so I'm trying to land some of those for 0.5.1. I might consider linking your fork, and/or we might look at each other for ideas; so we don't necessarily have to share the same code base; although I don't think it's the best approach forward.

            Another thing worth mentioning, we're going to need better support from Node.js, MongoDB and Fibers if we really want to have this stable; especially the latter mentioned ones. On Windows 8 (dunno if this has been resolved by now) people need compatibility mode to get things working, on Windows XP newer versions of MongoDB simply don't work and on Windows Vista some users can't get Meteor to work at all but it's unclear if that's Fibers and Node.js, and who known how well Windows 7 is supported, I doubt if it would work for everyone there.

            Thank you for mentioning me, and thanks in advance.

            Best regards,

            Tom Wijsman

            PS: I'll do my best to make 0.5.1 somewhat more outstanding, despites being a Gentoo Linux these months; trying to get Meteor ebuild from my local overlay into Portage (their software repository / package manager).

            Sean W

            Nov 20, 2012, 1:22:23 PM11/20/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Hey guys, I'm a windows developer by day that has just adopted Meteor for a side-project and would like to help out in any way I can.

            Is there a plan in place for updating the windows port to 0.5.1?   If so, is there anything I can do to help?

            Cheers

            Tom Wijsman

            Nov 20, 2012, 6:14:31 PM11/20/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Planning to push Meteor 0.5.1 for Windows (http://win.meteor.com) forward at Thursday / Friday, I am a full day at University tomorrow so won't be able to do a more direct release. Also planning to implement a lot of missing features, to minimize the gap between Linux and Windows; have looked into several options before (separate tar / gzip download, ...), but appears that just distributing MSYS along is the way to go...

            For more information about helping see the bottom of https://github.com/meteor/meteor/wiki/Supported-Platforms as well as the information at http://win.meteor.com/ and the issues at TomWij/meteor or GitHub, feel free to poke me on IRC if you want to!

            Sean W

            Nov 20, 2012, 8:16:23 PM11/20/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Great, I've taken a look at all of the diffs in your pull request from 3 months ago to get a better grasp of what you're dealing with.   Once the 0.5.1 stuff is available I'll give it a more thorough looking over to get a better idea of the state of the win branch compared to the main branch, and at that point I'll hopefully be able to contribute wherever I can going forward.

            Anurag Bhandari

            Nov 25, 2012, 12:47:05 PM11/25/12
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            @Tom: Great to learn that your work on getting meteor bundle to work under Windows is almost done. I, for one, am eager to get my hands on v0.5.1. In the meantime, I was finally able use IIS to host my meteor app. Here's my blog post on it - http://www.anuragbhandari.com/2012/11/hosting-meteor-js-app-in-iis/

            Tom Wijsman

            Dec 28, 2013, 7:24:34 PM12/28/13
            to meteo...@googlegroups.com
            Since this repository was meant for Windows support and has became outdated and superseded by other efforts (see http://win.meteor.com/) it will be removed until I contribute again.