some new reports I have setup up

Vicky

Jun 6, 2011, 8:47:00 AM6/6/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have setup 2 new reports for Merlin 2 to output the following information:
  • Resource Work per Phase
  • Budget/Cost Balance (with base costs)

To install the reports,
  • extract the zip file provided here,
  • place the contained mrept packages under the following path of your mac:  ~/Library/Application Support/Merlin/Reports
(in case you have no "Reports" folder please create it first and pay attention to name it exactly as "Reports")
  • restart your Merlin and
  • call File > New Report… to find them listed.
There are various options in the 'Options' tab. You may for example switch off 'Total Costs' or 'Budget' in the 'Resource work per phase' report to see only the resource work costs, or disable 'Budget/Cost balance' overview when wanting only the base costs to be outputed in the 'Budget/Cost Balance (with base costs)' report.

Please check them and I would really appreciate your feedback.

Best regards, Vicky

AdditionalMerlinReports.zip

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Jun 7, 2011, 3:46:23 PM6/7/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

and this another report template:
Checklist Report (mod - for master projects)

For installation, just proceed as explained:

> To install the reports,
> • extract the zip file provided here,
> • place the contained mrept packages under the following path of your mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Merlin/Reports
> (in case you have no "Reports" folder please create it first and pay attention to name it exactly as "Reports")
> • restart your Merlin and
> • call File > New Report… to find them listed.
> There are various options in the 'Options' tab.

This specific report was created to be used when outputing checklists of master projects.
It allows in the options to disable the display of checklist elements of completed projects,
and gives you three sorting options, by checklist title, by expected start of the activity on which the checklist was attached on, or project's title.

ChecklistReportMod2.mrept.zip

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Jun 9, 2011, 5:34:46 PM6/9/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
And this is a RiskReport:

RiskReport.mrept.zip

Vicky

Jun 10, 2011, 7:30:40 AM6/10/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
my preview report template was not sorting well and a column was not working as it should. So here you are the corrected version.

Best regards, Vicky
RiskReport.mrept.zip

Vicky

Jun 20, 2011, 4:16:13 PM6/20/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Here a report based on the standard "cost distribution" report template.
It offers options for enabling/disabling the visible rows (budget, budget/expected costs balance, base costs, element costs or resource costs) on the table and chart.
It also allows to plot expected total costs per interval.

Please test and let me know if it helps you as well.

Best regards, Vicky
CostDistributionMoreOptions.mrept.zip

Kim Rothwell

Jul 22, 2011, 11:28:03 AM7/22/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vicky - Having these reports is wonderful...but those of us who are trying to adopt Merlin cannot do our jobs without more reports available - specifically, drill-down budget reports that can sort based on activity/sub-activity and by resource.

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Jul 22, 2011, 1:15:41 PM7/22/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure I understand the kind of report, you would like to have. "budget reports that can sort based on activity/sub-activity" isn't it something you already see in the outline?

The report "Resource Work Costs per Phase" (mentioned in this thread) plots the budget along with the resource's cost for example

Merlin007.png

Tonaya Thompson

Jul 22, 2011, 1:53:06 PM7/22/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Another report that would be very useful (to me at least!) would be something that would show you activities by assigned resource, then by project, then by particular activity and date.

Example:

Assigned Resource
     Project 1
          Activity: Expected Start, Expected End
          Activity: Expected Start, Expected End
     Project 2
          Activity: Expected Start, Expected End

Any way to get something like this out of a file with combined projects?

Tonaya

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Kim Rothwell <kimro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Vicky - Having these reports is wonderful...but those of us who are trying to adopt Merlin cannot do our jobs without more reports available - specifically, drill-down budget reports that can sort based on activity/sub-activity and by resource.

Tonaya Thompson

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Jul 22, 2011, 2:04:50 PM7/22/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
What about doing this without a report in the utilization and close the Gantt if you don't want to see it?

You need enable the columns "project", "expected start" and "expected end"
and sort by "project"

Merlin009.png

Tonaya Thompson

Jul 22, 2011, 3:16:40 PM7/22/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Perfect!!!

Best regards, Vicky

--
Tonaya Thompson

Marco

Aug 23, 2011, 7:51:34 AM8/23/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vicky,

Is it possible to also overlay the actual costs on the cost distribution report? Basically to compare planned vs actual cost (almost like an EVA).

Regards
Marco

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Aug 23, 2011, 8:14:16 AM8/23/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 23, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Marco wrote:

> Hi Vicky,
>
> Is it possible to also overlay the actual costs on the cost distribution report? Basically to compare planned vs actual cost (almost like an EVA).

This option is already available in the "budget / cost balance" report.

You would like to have it as well in the "cost distribution" report? I will see what I can do.

Best regards, Vicky

Marco

Aug 23, 2011, 8:21:50 AM8/23/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. In the budget/cost balance report, I can see the actuals vs planned cost. But I would be interested to see the monthly (or whatever frame) distribution of also the actual costs. If that opiton would be available, Merlin could be used for EVA reporting and the like. Would be great if you could work out something

Cheers
Marco

Vicky

Aug 23, 2011, 8:22:07 AM8/23/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
also... this is another report I have created... called "Resources Report"
It reports resources' information like in the classic report but also data such as expected work, actual work and remaining work, and optionally expected resource costs vs actual costs.

For installation:

To install the report,
• extract the zip file provided here,
• place the contained mrept package under the following path of your mac:  ~/Library/Application Support/Merlin/Reports

(in case you have no "Reports" folder please create it first and pay attention to name it exactly as "Reports")
• restart your Merlin and
• call File > New Report… to find them listed.

Check also the options in the 'Options' tab.

See attached screenshot of the report and its options

Best regards, Vicky

ReportAndOptions.png
ResourceReport.mrept.zip

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Aug 23, 2011, 10:00:20 AM8/23/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the quick reply. In the budget/cost balance report, I can see the actuals vs planned cost. But I would be interested to see the monthly (or whatever frame) distribution of also the actual costs. If that opiton would be available, Merlin could be used for EVA reporting and the like. Would be great if you could work out something

I've check this... and there is currently no way outputting the actual cost distribution. Merlin is not offering such a method so I cannot output it...
Here are the available methods one could use in a python report:

self.project.expectedWorkCostBetweenDate_andDate_
self.project.elementsCostBetweenDate_andDate_
self.project.baseCostBetweenDate_andDate_

self.project.expectedCostBetweenDate_andDate_

self.project.approvedBudgetUndistributedBetweenDate_andDate_
self.project.budgetExpectedCostBalanceBetweenDate_andDate_

As you see... no actualCostBetweenDate_andDate_ sorry.

Best regards, Vicky

Marco

Aug 23, 2011, 10:26:22 AM8/23/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for looking it up. Maybe something for the future.....

Vicky

Aug 26, 2011, 7:27:00 AM8/26/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Some settings of the "Budget/Cost Balance (with base costs)" won't be saved correctly in the last report template... I also changed the position of the base costs to be listed priorly to the planned resource costs...

If interested in this report, feel free to download this new version.

Best regards, Vicky

MERBudgetCostBalancePlusBasis.mrept.zip

Vicky

Aug 31, 2011, 3:20:25 PM8/31/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
This is yet again a new report template: "Next due activities (plus overdue)"

It is based on the "Next due activities" report template to show over due and not yet finished tasks as well.

To install it:
-export the zip first
-place the contained mrept package under the following path of your mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Merlin/Reports

(in case you have no "Reports" folder please create it first and pay attention to name it exactly as "Reports")
-restart your Merlin and
-call File > New Report… to find the new report called "Next due activities (plus overdue)".

Best regards, Vicky
NextDueActivitiesPlusOverdue.mrept.zip

Vicky

Sep 2, 2011, 7:13:43 AM9/2/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
And this is an even better version of the report "Next Due Activities (plus overdue)"... it works better in German (sorry for having forgotten this in my previous report template) and allows to output overdue activities by an option.
Best regards, Vicky
NextDueActivitiesPlusOverdue.mrept.zip
Merlin002.png

Vicky

Sep 12, 2011, 4:10:11 PM9/12/11
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
This is an issues report; it reports optionally all issues, only those fixed or hides the fixed ones.
Please check attached screenshot and report template as a zip archive.

Note: I have not worked on the French localization so feel free to complete the French localization and attach a new version onto this thread.
Thanks

Best regards, Vicky
Merlin045.png
IssueReport.mrept.zip

Maria

May 24, 2012, 10:40:50 AM5/24/12
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Love this report! One thing, Is there a way to get a total field at the end of the work and duration columns. I can add it manually but for large projects it would be nice to have it in the report.

Thanks
maria
Message has been deleted

Vicky

May 24, 2012, 1:12:15 PM5/24/12
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, this report is an XSTL report, that means it is based on a XML file, which Merlin creates out of the current state of the project and an XSLTransformation applied to it.

I am not a big expert on XSLT and don't know how to do calculations with the values of the XML. Maybe someone else here in the forum can help on this?

For more information on the possible technologies of Merlin report templates, please check
http://www.projectwizards.net/en/macpm/merlin/merlin-–-do-a-bit-of-magic-in-reports-–-part-ix

Best regards, Vicky

joecephus

May 26, 2012, 10:19:55 AM5/26/12
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Vicky:
I added the reports folder as per your instructions and placed the reports there. I do not however find them when trying to access from file/new report. I also there are pre installed reports that obviously reside somewhere other the the new folder I created. I am using the latest update of Merlin 2.

Vicky Stamatopoulou

May 27, 2012, 8:14:51 AM5/27/12
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

please check the following:
- that the folder is really under
Your home directory > Library > Application Support > Merlin >
- its name is "Reports"
- it contains the two mrept packages (and not the zip file)
If everything is fine, re-start Merlin and go to File > New Report > …

Will they get listed now?

If not… which is your Finders language?
Do you run Merlin from your hard disk, or directly from the Merlin disk image?

You may want to contact Merlin support to sort this out.

Best regards, Vicky