What happened to Managed Runtime Initiative?

Wojciech Kudla

Mar 13, 2013, 5:16:54 AM3/13/13
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I remember it was started around 2010. Now the site seems down and no news on the matter on the internet.

Regards
Wojciech

Howard Green

Mar 18, 2013, 10:20:37 PM3/18/13
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wojciech,

We shut the site down about a year ago, and the team members are all working on other projects.  For more details you might try reaching out to Gil Tene. He's the Azul Systems CTO.

best,

Howard Green
Azul Systems, Inc.

Greg Bowyer

Aug 18, 2013, 10:57:32 PM8/18/13
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
The code hides out here fwiw https://github.com/GregBowyer/ManagedRuntimeInitiative

but its incomplete and extremely buggy

Gil Tene

Aug 19, 2013, 1:26:23 AM8/19/13
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Yup. Nice to see it lives on somewhere. We've pretty much given up on convincing Linux kernel folks to add the right hooks in the kernel, and have instead focused on OS-independent ways around it. It was sad for a while (but I've moved on) to see how the very idea of enabling something that could make GC better for everyone, on all runtimes, seemed to get people upset and angry. To some people, it seems, GC is only useful for helping lazy people who are too stupid to program without it, and anything that makes it work better should not be encouraged.

Greg Bowyer

Aug 19, 2013, 2:06:05 PM8/19/13
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
/me shrugs

How do you avoid making changes in the kernel (I know proprietary secrets and all, just curious).

I wonder if its the kernel hackers proper or the screaming multitude that throws the GC toys, because I find certain things in the kernel (the SLUB allocator for example) are quite close in spirit to many GC's just not maybe in form; that said I am sure you would know better you probably had the discussions to utter frustration.

Nikolay Tsankov

Feb 6, 2017, 3:45:52 PM2/6/17
to mechanical-sympathy
Apologies, I know it's an old thread, but roughly the same amount of time has now passed and I wanted to check if there is any new development regarding this...

From what I see on Azul's site, you have utilized DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) to have the memory manager and scheduler modules rebuilt automatically.
Is the scheduler module still needed for modern kernels? Did any part of that contribution make it to the kernel?

Strange that no one else has tried to port the GPGC to openjdk, even stranger is that other managed runtimes are apparently not interested either.
The GNU license might have stopped Apple from using if for a Swift runtime, but what about node/V8? From what I've read, their GC is very similar to G1 with parallel mark/sweep and pausing compactor.

Slightly off-topic (and the real reason I am writing this) but I found this incredible piece of poetry hidden in a comment here which reads:

/*
* To batch, or not to batch, that is the question.
* Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
* The slings and arrows of long pause times,
* Or to take arms against a lousy virtual memory interface,
* And by opposing end them? To run: to scale.
*/

Who was this brave poet? :)

Gil Tene

Feb 7, 2017, 12:12:53 AM2/7/17

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 12:45:52 PM UTC-8, Nikolay Tsankov wrote:

Slightly off-topic (and the real reason I am writing this) but I found this incredible piece of poetry hidden in a comment here which reads:

/*
* To batch, or not to batch, that is the question.
* Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
* The slings and arrows of long pause times,
* Or to take arms against a lousy virtual memory interface,
* And by opposing end them? To run: to scale.
*/

Who was this brave poet? :)

Michael Wolf. A true poet whose code would shine even in a heap full of garbage.