Colquhoun DNA Matches or Documentation

William McCown

Nov 12, 2007, 2:40:09 PM11/12/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
According to www.electricscotland.com there are several name associations between various derivatives of Macilcomghan, MacCowan, McCowne (but no McCowns at all) and various clan and family groupings.  These include but are not limited to Colquhoun, Macdougall, Campbell, MacDonald as well as others.

I have checked www.ysearch.org for any matches between the McCown surname and any other names connected with Colquhoun and have found---none.

My question is then does any member of the McCown Google Group have YDNA matches or actual recorded documentation that would connect their direct McCown family line with any of the Colquhouns, MacDougalls, Campbells or MacDonalds?

I have 12 marker matches with about 297 other surnames including MacLeod, MacKenzie, McDonald, Bruce, Stewart and many other Scots and Irish surnames but only three other McCowns.  I am particularly interested in members with YDNA matches at 25 or 37 markers with traditional connections with any form of McCown in Ireland or Scotland.

Leonard J. McCown

Nov 12, 2007, 6:29:45 PM11/12/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Well, I certainly hope there are none with Campbell! Leonard

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History
leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org
People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to
their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790----- Original Message -----

William McCown

Nov 12, 2007, 7:31:58 PM11/12/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I hear you, Leonard.  I read that the Campbell officer in charge of the massacre later took his own life in remorse.  The reason for the posting is that I wonder how many McCowns who believe they are related to Colquhoun MacCowans really are.

If there are any Colquhoun MacCowans left at Luss on Loch Lomond, I sure wish that they would take the FTDNA test and let the rest of us in on it.

I tried a match between my results and a Colquhoun on ysearch and the results were far apart.  What really bothers me is that so few McCowns of any spelling have been tested, at least on FTDNA.  But the picture is much the same on ysearch.  Besides the 21 shown on the McCown ysearch page I have found only Cowin/McCowne which match me at 10/12 markers and are therefor not reported as a match at all by FTDNA even though I have added McCowne as an alternative spelling to be used for matching purposes.  The reason is probably because they feel that 11/12 within the surname is as far as they want to show a meaningful match.

Leonard J. McCown

Nov 12, 2007, 11:58:25 PM11/12/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
William, also remember that smaller septs would take the a name for the protection of the clan in those days too. Yes, it would be interesting to see several of the Colquhoun join a Y-DNA study.

I think more might be interested in further testing if the cost was not so much. It all depends on that interest! My problem is the more I learn, the more I want to know! Leonard

William McCown

Nov 13, 2007, 1:47:17 AM11/13/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I agree about the smaller septs and the closest clan that would offer protection.  I am beginning to believe that although many people derived their names from Mac Eoghain and it's derivative Macilcomghan they were wide spread rather than in a few groups large enough to be clans in their own right.  Ashby once said that the Macilcomghan name was widespread in the highlands.  The www.genforum.genealogy.com McCowan Surname Bulletin Board their was a posting that indicated that there were far more McCowans in Perthshire than in Ayrshire.

There were apparently at least two large septs named after the son of the servant or follower of St. Chohmghain although they could have been related.  Their was a sept known as Mhic Gille Comghan of unknown origin who were early possessors of Inverrary, Argyll.
The Irish sept were called Mac Giolla Comghan.  The Irish of that sept took the family name of MacIlhone in Tyrone and the Scots sept took the various spellings of MacCowan.  Both MacIlhone and MacCowan relate to the son of Owen (Eoghain) so I've read.
their ancestors.. -- Edmund Burke, 1790----- Original Message -----

Lannie Walker

Nov 13, 2007, 1:17:34 PM11/13/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I am a McCown descendant  but I thought that this might be of interest relative to the 12 marker
subject. The following persons match me in the first 12 markers and notice the surnames. Only
2 are Walkers. I am a 66 of 67 marker match with several other Walkers but the mismatch is in
the 1st 12 markers. I am thinking that my relationship with the other folks may be primarily due to
the relationship going back a little further than the time when a man left his parents home he could
assign himself a new surname, perhaps related to his occupation or whatever. Any ideas or comments?
Any  McCown DNA participants have  a list like this???

The list of 12/12  YChromosome DNA matches to me

Mr. Kenneth Alden Gardner
Mr. John Anderson
Mr. barry lee longacre
Bill L. Gardner
Harold Wendell Johnson, Jr.
Norman Robert Holden
Charles Robert Snakard
John L. Walker
Charles Wesley Gardner
Jacob Robert Winn
Mr. Frederick William Mansfield, Jr.
Felix Jose Planas
Mr. Richard Kevin Edwards
Dennis Earl Longnecker
Mr. Tiago Viana Machado
Christian Langenegger
Shelley William Anderson
Mr. Michael Eric Longnecker
Mr. Justin Paul Longacre
Mr. David Mowere Longacre
Michael Walker
Mr. David R. Longacre
Mr. Robert Jones Longenecker
Paul Anthony Longenecker
David Huston Longenecker
Craig Charles Longenecker
                                                              Lannie Walker

Leonard J. McCown wrote:

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.30/1126 - Release Date: 11/12/2007 12:56 PM

--
www.lanniewalker.com
http://lanniewalker.no-ip.biz (8:00Am - 11:00PM daily)

Leonard J. McCown

Nov 13, 2007, 2:45:28 PM11/13/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Lannie. Interesting. Going by my uncle, Hollis Edward McCown, here are the names that matched him exact on 12/12 (not counting those off 1):

William Robert Wehner
William Mason Dillard
Cordell Laverne Addison
David Andrew Avila
Thomas Edward McCown
William R. Addison
Ricky McClain
Daniel Michael Clements
William Regan Schriver
Henry Wesley Pevehouse
Robert Elton Noble
Melvin T. Dillard
Daniel Howard Tharpe
Glenn Wyrick
Lelan Forrest Clement
Todd W. McCune
Keith Howard Fitzgerlad
Tyrone Anthony Clenny
Richard James McClennan
Bruce Andrew Furtney
John Charles McCown, Sr.
James Frederick Mills
Michael Hickman
David George Perry
Alvin Glenn McCowen, Sr.
Michael Dewitt McCown

Lannie Walker

Nov 13, 2007, 5:51:04 PM11/13/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
I suppose that they only compared the first 12 markers. Wonder what would happen if they
compared all the 25,37, and/or67 markers against all other 25,37 and 67 markers. There might be
another guy with 67 markers that match you in all 67 markers.  Would your surname ACTUALLY be
his or  his ACTUALLY be McCown???
                                                                      Lannie

Leonard J. McCown wrote:

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.31/1128 - Release Date: 11/13/2007 11:09 AM

Leonard J. McCown

Nov 13, 2007, 7:39:02 PM11/13/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
You can see all the exact matches, and those that are near too.

You can see on your results page under "Y-DNA Matches". The exact matches on 25 were only two:

Todd W. McCune
Michael Dewitt McCown

On 37 it only lists Todd W. McCune; Michael Dewitt McCown was a distance of 3.

On 67 there were none listed as exact. Michael Dewitt McCown is listed at a distance of 4, and it does not show Todd W. McCune! Sounds like something is off here.

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History
leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org
People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to
their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790----- Original Message -----

William McCown

Nov 13, 2007, 8:46:44 PM11/13/07
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
You can elect to see all surnames of matches or just your own surname and it's variations.  As to the signifigance of matches, FTDNA considers these matches as significant: 11/12, 23/25, 33/37 and 60/67.  Those numbers came from a posting by someone other than FTDNA on the FTDNA Forum.  While matches in the surname are most likely to be related, other surnames with those matches are relevant but probably the Most Recent Common Ancestor was before the use of surnames was common.  For example, I have six Maguires, McGuires, MacAuleys and Donahoes with 33/37 matches.  The FTDNA MRCA prediction tool shows all to be 96.5 to 97.6% probability to have a common ancestor with me 24 generations (600 years) ago.  The probabilites could have been 99% 28 generations ago but with either no surname at all or with a different surname.

What Barry McCain of the Ulster Heritage Group has been able to do is to connect patterns of marker results into a geographical area and sometimes bridge the gap between a Johnstone and a McCain, both of which mean son of John or Johnson.  That is one reason why I took the desparate steps of upgrading from the 37 to the 67 marker test.  I am also being tested for the deep SNP subclade test.  I have enjoyed viewing the DNA matches on the Ulster Heritage website and look forward to see how Barry classifies my results.