Mayan EDMS crowdfunding is over

Roberto Rosario

Aug 18, 2017, 1:14:20 PM8/18/17
to Mayan EDMS
Repost from the web: https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/first-crowdfunding-over/

Sadly, the attempt to use crowdfunding to add the zone OCR feature was not successful.

The original goal was to raise $720 USD to hire a frontend developer knowledgeable in the topic, while I would work on the backend side of things. The final result for the campaign was $330 or 46% of the goal. I’m very grateful to the backers of the campaign:

  • Matthias Löblich
  • Douglas Van Es
  • Marek Stopka
  • Jesaja Everling
  • Matthias Sieke
  • Korbinian Preisler

Since the campaign was a fixed goal campaign, we get nothing if the goal was not reached. The running time for the campaign was 30 days.

What went wrong? Hard to say. The analytics showed increased traffic to the site for the 30 days of the campaign. A quick search shows good SEO and we even got several extra thousand visits just from the Hacker News post. The exposure was good. Given the traffic, even with a worst case scenario of 1% conversion rate, there should have been enough backing to reach the funding goal.

The growth and the amount of work the project requires mean that a source of reliable and adequate funding needs to be created/found to keep the project sustainable. This is not the first attempt to raise funds for the project that has failed.

It is not possible to continue devoting the current amount of time and routing resources from my commercial ventures to the project. It is with a heavy heart that I must accept that the future of the Mayan EDMS is uncertain at the moment.

LeVon Smoker

Aug 18, 2017, 3:19:25 PM8/18/17
to Mayan EDMS
This is not good. I'd chip in some money to help keep Mayan afloat. The zone OCR feature was not important to me, but further support and development is. Let me know how to donate.

LeVon Smoker

Lin Pro

Aug 19, 2017, 5:03:57 AM8/19/17
to Mayan EDMS

 It is with a heavy heart that I must accept that the future of the Mayan EDMS is uncertain at the moment.

Hello,
Will Mayan EDMS, however, be available in the repository for the users to download it and get to know about it?
It is with a heavy heart that I learn that such software might be abandoned.
I just spoke to a guy who does deployments of a commercial sofware of same type and it seems that edms is a product of high demand today.

I never did anything with Mayan EDMS yet (documentation and experience lacking) but my hope was to try it out seriously at my own business and then hopefully help others to use it.

Best regards
Lin Pro

David Kornahrens

Aug 21, 2017, 5:07:54 PM8/21/17
to Mayan EDMS
Roberto -
This is also sad to hear.  Especially with us just now ramping up your product.

Everything I have ever requested, you have completed or at least been working on.  I would like to perhaps partner with someone to come up with the remaining funds you need to complete this step in the project.

If it would help, I can also start up my support plan (you even created a government plan for me) tomorrow.  I have just been too busy.

Let me, let us, know what we can do to help you get over this hump and continue on with Mayan EMDS, which some of us have grown to love.

Jesaja Everling

Aug 21, 2017, 5:55:35 PM8/21/17
to mayan...@googlegroups.com
+1.
I donated to the Zone OCR campaign to support Mayan, not because I needed that particular feature. Maybe others chose not to chip in because they didn't have any need for Zone OCR at the moment (it is a really cool feature though, maybe it would even be possible to have some machine learning source that you can train to do OCR on certain structures of a document some time in the future).
Mayan is an amazing piece of work and it's incredible that you provide it for free, fully open source and not only a restricted community edition while trying to sell a pro edition like many others would have done.
The support you provide is even more incredible, every problem that is raised gets addressed very quickly and very often resolved within a few hours.

I really do hope there is a way that this becomes sustainable somehow.

Best Regards,

Jesaja Everling

--

---