New Android build system in based on Gradle

Matthias

Oct 11, 2012, 3:37:18 AM10/11/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com
Have you seen this? http://tools.android.com/tech-docs/new-build-system

I was wondering what this means w.r.t. Android library projects and apklib artifacts?

Manfred Moser

Oct 11, 2012, 12:59:05 PM10/11/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com
I have been working with Xavier (SDK lead) and Hans (Gradle lead) on this.
It means a few things:

- the core functionality of the SDK tools moves into a java library that
gradle wraps
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22com.android.tools.build%22%20AND%20a%3A%22gradle%22

- this library is deployed to the central repository and we will be using
that in the android maven plugin as well in the future, it is already in
central now
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22com.android.tools.build%22%20AND%20a%3A%22builder%22

- a new format expanding on the ideas of apklib is being created and will
use packaging/extension aar (for android archive just like jar for java
archive)

- the android maven plugin will move to support that format

- Xavier is going to push sdk tools related jars to the central repository
freeing up the Android4Maven project from the need to do that

- hopefully all artifacts like android jar and closed source ones like
maps will end up in the central repo (still working on that, stay tuned)

So all in all it looks like there are great things ahead.

Manfred

PS: I know there are a number of pull requests. I am going to look at
merging them and cut a new release asap ...

Robert Manning

Oct 12, 2012, 7:17:45 AM10/12/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com
Oh glorious day!  That is indeed great news for all android maven projects.

Cheers,

Rob

Matthias

Oct 15, 2012, 4:42:41 AM10/15/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic news indeed! I was worried there for a moment (and happy at the same time, since I can finally move back to a production ready Groovy based build system.)

yorkw

Nov 30, 2012, 4:38:46 AM11/30/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear android team now start trying to revamp the build system. Looking forward to make some contribution on this :D

Stéphane Nicolas

Dec 5, 2012, 11:38:23 PM12/5/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this all !

I am really impatient to the maps in central, and to try out the new build system.

Is there any ETA for release 1.0 of the new build system ?
Can you suggest any time for switching to gradle or is it already time to get familiar with it ?

Stéphane

Manfred Moser

Dec 6, 2012, 1:27:14 PM12/6/12
On Wed, December 5, 2012 8:38 pm, Stéphane Nicolas wrote:
> Thanks for this all !
>
> I am really impatient to the maps in central, and to try out the new build
> system.

Well... dont hold your breath for that to happen. Currently the new gradle
build pulls the artifacts from the SDK.. sigh

> Is there any ETA for release 1.0 of the new build system ?
> Can you suggest any time for switching to gradle or is it already time to
> get familiar with it ?

Yes... you can get familiar with it. Is it time to switch. Thats up to
you. Personally I will stick to what I know works.. the android maven
plugin ;-) and hopefully get some of the libraries used in the new build
system integrated into the plugin once they are on central in a more final
form (current its at version 0.4)

manfred

yorkw

Dec 6, 2012, 4:26:56 PM12/6/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com, man...@mosabuam.com
Hi Manfred,

Do you know why Android team choose Gradle over Maven as the new build system? Given the fact that Gradle is not as popular as Ant or Maven (far from that ,based on my understanding) and android-maven-plugin become quite mature, What is the point of reinventing the wheel.

I had a quick read the current release 0.2 and the roadmap. Most of features (implemented or promised) are covered or doable via android-maven-plugin. I don't see any shiny point that encourage me switch from Maven to Gradle.

The only exciting bit is aar support, which is no yet implemented in new Gradle build system, and I am sure android-maven-plugin will continue growing and developing to support whatever in the new build system.

Regards,
York

Manfred Moser (simpligility)

Dec 7, 2012, 12:02:08 AM12/7/12

On Thursday, 6 December 2012 13:26:56 UTC-8, yorkw wrote:
Hi Manfred,

Do you know why Android team choose Gradle over Maven as the new build system? Given the fact that Gradle is not as popular as Ant or Maven (far from that ,based on my understanding) and android-maven-plugin become quite mature, What is the point of reinventing the wheel.

I am not going to go into this topic in a public forum. Lets just say I understand Xavier's motivation, but tend to disagree. In general though reinventing the wheel seems a common practice in our industry ;-)

I had a quick read the current release 0.2 and the roadmap. Most of features (implemented or promised) are covered or doable via android-maven-plugin. I don't see any shiny point that encourage me switch from Maven to Gradle.

Good.. there should not be. Hopefully we can continue to keep up and potentially stay ahead. It all depends on all your contributions...

The only exciting bit is aar support, which is no yet implemented in new Gradle build system, and I am sure android-maven-plugin will continue growing and developing to support whatever in the new build system.

I hope so too. I am definitely not switching any time soon.

manfred

yorkw

Dec 7, 2012, 3:24:16 AM12/7/12
to maven-androi...@googlegroups.com, man...@mosabuam.com

I am not going to go into this topic in a public forum. Lets just say I understand Xavier's motivation, but tend to disagree. In general though reinventing the wheel seems a common practice in our industry ;-)

Damn, I think I can probably guess the reason now :P