Fwd: Wood pulp extract stronger than carbon fiber or Kevlar

Jerry Isdale

Sep 5, 2012, 12:53:16 PM9/5/12
to MauiMakers
These are nano-crystals made from wood. They are stronger than kevlar and match carbon nanotubes at 100th the cost.

http://www.gizmag.com/cellulose-nanocrystals-stronger-carbon-fiber-kevlar/23959/

Jerry Isdale
isd...@gmail.com

cole santos

Sep 5, 2012, 3:38:49 PM9/5/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

Brett Christiansen

Sep 5, 2012, 4:50:57 PM9/5/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if you could do a similar process on sugar cane or an alternate crop here on Maui?

I heard they used to make the Canick (spelling?) aka panels made from sugar cane fibers, here on Maui.  My house which was built over 90 years ago still has the panels in it.

Checkout what these guys are doing with sugar cane fibers.   http://www.3d-wallpanels.com/ecoproduct.   If you sandwiched the the canick board with a nano fiber layer then you'd have a decent weight baring wall.

Mike Drescher

Sep 5, 2012, 9:10:31 PM9/5/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Not a replacement for kevlar, but an eco-akamai thermoplastic from lignin, like waste from sugar cane (or tree) pulp.  Check out German firm Tecnaro.  A future 3D printing feedstock?

I wonder if you could do a similar process on sugar cane or an alternate crop here on Maui?

cole santos

Sep 5, 2012, 10:19:30 PM9/5/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Process seems similar to the hydrothemal carbonization scheme ive been  researching but with strong acid and shot time periods instead of weak acid and long run times used for hydrothermal carbonization. Getting a device that can take strong acid to high temperature and pressure could be REALLY hard and expensive.