Calling math physics gurus... building a standing barrel wave with LEDs

Jerry Isdale

Sep 28, 2012, 2:05:35 AM9/28/12
to MauiMakers
Thought here at Makers tonight...
Ryan has a project in hiatus: a laminar flow water table with LEDs injecting light in the nozzles, as the water reaches other end of the table, it hits a properly designed ramp that causes the water to curve into a perfect barrel wave.  The laminar flow of water works almost like fiber optics, keeping the light inside water until it hits an obstacle.   Add a finger sized surfboard and PLAY!

the guy who originally motivated Ryan to get many of the parts and get started has lost interest and gone away.
I think it sounds like an awesome demonstration of many things Maui.
Ryan needs some help to get it going again. ... like what is the proper shape of the table to create the standing wave.
If he can get some help with that, I'll get the color leds programmed to dance and rock.

Could we get it built for the Jan 22 Open House?

Jerry Isdale

cole santos

Sep 28, 2012, 5:47:24 AM9/28/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

Ive surfed a couple standing waves in oahu and minnesota.

Garrett Lisi

Sep 28, 2012, 6:39:16 AM9/28/12
to Jerry Isdale, MauiMakers
Hey Jerry,
There are a few surmountable issues with building this that I can see. The first is producing a fairly high volume laminar flow. I've seen it done for fountains:
http://hackedgadgets.com/2012/04/09/diy-laminar-flow-water-fountains/
We'd want something similar for a flat stream, open on the top. Something like a bunch of drinking straws filling a rectangular pipe would probably do it. And we'd need a high volume pump. For the ramp to properly shape the wave, we'd want to play with molding different shapes until we got something we liked. Maybe copy one of waveloch's shapes to start.
http://www.waveloch.com/
They've put a lot of R&D into this already, for the full size versions. If you watch some of the videos on their home page, you can see what their pool topography is like.
-G