Fwd: MakerBot Replicator™ 2 Desktop 3D Printer

Jerry Isdale

Sep 20, 2012, 12:42:28 AM9/20/12
to MauiMakers
Makerbot announced V2 of their Replicator 3d Printer today.
New system looks real professional -- powder coated metal frame, new custom software, etc etc etc
Doesnt say anything about dual head though.  $2200 + $350.yr service contract

https://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

Jerry Isdale

Chester Lowrey

Sep 20, 2012, 1:02:04 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Looks pretty sweet! I never trusted the wood in our humid environment. I wish the price didn't keep going up though!
I ordered one of these a week ago  http://www.makergear.com/products/m-series-3d-printers
All stainless steel and waterjet cut aluminum parts. No rust here.
Wont get here for another month or so depending on the wait times.. I think it is a good alternative to the makerbot though, got some good reviews. I think they were having problems with people not being able to assemble the kit correctly and then complaining so they removed the kit and only sell it fully assembled now. I can let you guys know how it performs once it arrives if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Chester

Jerry Isdale

Sep 20, 2012, 1:12:54 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Cool... I respect the MakerGear folks for some great stuff in the past.
I am interested to see how this one performs.
perhaps you could bring it to the space sometime and show it off.

Chester Lowrey

Sep 20, 2012, 1:21:05 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I would Jerry but I'm on the Big Island! :S I like hearing about what you guys are up to and all that is involved in running a makerspace, even if I can't easily visit. Hope you don't mind my chiming in occasionally ;)..
Maybe someday Hilo will get one started too, I hear the rumblings of it, but no one to my knowledge has yet started a cohesive group of makers like you guys have on Maui.
I just got involved with the UH Hilo robotics club though and they have a Makerbot replicator which is the reason I bought my own 3D printer.. so many possibilities. I also ordered the parts to build a large 12" x 12" build area one of these http://reprap.org/wiki/Rostock I love the delta cnc machine motions :) I want to use it as a SMT pick and place machine!

Cheers,
Chester

Brian Thomas

Sep 20, 2012, 4:02:09 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I was waiting for Chester to chime in that "coming on down" would be a little harder from BI.  Good to hear from you.

The Rostock looks cool for sure.  Bigger area and pretty simple to make and affordable as well.

Makers, Chester does some cool stuff over there and runs easybotics.com for easy robotics.  I picked up a bag of brushbot motors from him awhile back.

Brian

cole santos

Sep 20, 2012, 4:29:44 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
This is a nice affordable cnc  http://www.pdjinc.com/

Chester Lowrey

Sep 20, 2012, 5:18:42 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
That cnc router does look very nice for the price. Someone even made a waterjet cutter with it!  So many options these days.. How to decide? I want a larger 80W laser cutter too (currently have a $800 40W chinese one)..

Chester

Jerry Isdale

Sep 20, 2012, 5:56:11 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
We already have one CNC bot at Maui Makers
it needs to be assembled.
Then there are the other two CNC's that I backed on Kickstarter at lower levels...
and we have 3 four foot lengths of this cool material ...
which could be used as a mod to either of those other designs to make a nice machine.

First we get the DIYCNC built and operational.
Then we can look at other cnc options. ... including that nice one on Craigslist (and at Pawella Canery)

Jerry Isdale

cole santos

Sep 20, 2012, 6:01:46 AM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
It is a POS though after looking around. its cool and its makerproject, but it doesn't have roller bearings and its really small. CNC is the only thing we dont have on highschool makerspace equip list if we get the things we already discussed.

Brian Thomas

Sep 20, 2012, 1:44:57 PM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
it may be a POS but it is our POS and it may have feelings so lets get it working and go from there to learn what we like/dislike and want in future machines.

Jerry Isdale

Sep 20, 2012, 1:59:14 PM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
That POS may not be able to hog thru 4x8 sheets of 1" steel plate or sculpt a head from a block of granite
but there is a lot to learn about CNC control, scaffold forces, etc.
Besides it is paid for.

The website for it is http://www.mydiycnc.com/
I am downloading the most recent plans and will bring them to meeting tonight.
Not sure if my personal printer is up for it but I'll try to have hard copy.

Jerry Isdale

cole santos

Sep 20, 2012, 2:20:32 PM9/20/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com