Fwd: Shapeoko batch #5 reached the goal!

Jerry Isdale

Sep 24, 2012, 3:00:41 PM9/24/12
to MauiMakers
another small cnc bot - this one uses the same slider/rails that I have in 4' lengths.

Jerry Isdale

Begin forwarded message:

From: Inventables <id...@inventables.com>
Date: September 24, 2012 8:50:16 AM HST
Subject: Shapeoko batch #5 reached the goal!

Shapeoko CNC Mill

Shapeoko Batch #5 Tipped

We reached our goal of 50 Shapeoko CNC Mill pre-orders which is enough to start a new production run!

If you have any questions along the way feel free to email us at he...@inventables.com. Thanks for your support! The Inventables Team.

View Shapeoko Page on Inventables →

MakerSlide Accessories

V-Wheel Kits, MakerSlide and more

Check it out here →

Search other products

Know anyone else who would like to get ridiculously cool machines & materials emailed to them weekly?
Send them to our free weekly email sign-up page →

Follow Us:

blogger email twitter

© 2011 Inventables | 600 W Van Buren | Chicago IL | 60607

To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list. View this email on the web here. You can also forward to a friend. You can also unsubscribe.

Brian Thomas

Sep 24, 2012, 4:15:49 PM9/24/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
All these use dremel tools.  If the dremels could talk they would be saying something like "I wasn't cutout for this"  Soo.. a cutout tool aka roto zip would be dramatically better and offer a real and powered up CNC experience.

When we build ours, it will have a roto zip type drive.  Here is one at HF 28k rpm for $29.  A buck per 1k rpm :)

cutout.jpg

Brian Thomas

Sep 24, 2012, 4:16:15 PM9/24/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

Jerry Isdale

Sep 24, 2012, 4:28:26 PM9/24/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Yes... I got one of those.... marketed as a Spiral Saw.  the tool is not a conventional drill bit, but more of a spiral cutting blade.  Works great although is sometimes tricky to steer.  Mounting on CNC would be pretty cool... or that MIT power tool-gps thing.

There are also the higher powered  tools with flexible shaft drives (similar to the dremel one).  This would allow you to mount the mass of the motor on the side, making it easier and more accurate to position the cutting head.

Jerry Isdale

Chester Lowrey

Sep 24, 2012, 4:29:58 PM9/24/12
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Ya I agree. The dremel's can have horrible bearing runout too! Check the one you end up using for properly seated ball berings, some of them are set in molded plastic but with lots of slop around bearing from lack of accurate molds.

If you want a really nice one splurge on one of these:

which has a metal casing! much less flex and easier to clamp to with its nice circular housing.

Might be too heavy for your machien though.. I have the Makita on a small router I built and works great.